Danielli & Gritti Palace

Aug 10th, 2003, 06:22 AM
DMG
Original Poster

Danielli & Gritti Palace

I heard from a travel agent that the Danielli and Gritti Palace in Venice are for sale. Has anyone stayed at either lately; are they being well maintained or is management not putting any more money into them?
Aug 10th, 2003, 09:36 AM

Stayed at the Gritti in November of 2001. At that time I thought it was a little threadbare and the rooms could stand a good sprucing up.
Aug 10th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Intrepid

If they are for sale then it is the Sheraton companies which are responsible, at least for the Gritti.

Aug 13th, 2003, 12:02 PM
DMG
Original Poster

ttt
Aug 13th, 2003, 09:30 PM

Don't know when the Danielli was put up for sale but stayed there in Mid-May and had no complaints. Very beautiful and friendly staff. Just be prepared for "traditional european dinner dining". Dinner took about 3-3 1/2 hrs ea. night. Food was very good and rooms were spectacular. Have fun
Aug 13th, 2003, 09:38 PM

Did someone say Danielli? Both were owned by CIGA, then I heard that the Aga Khan bought CIGA. If you have the op to stay there by all means do it. You will not be disappointed. Location cannot be beat. Old world style and elegance. Can I come too????
Aug 14th, 2003, 02:41 AM

As far as I know they are Starwood hotels, since Starwood bought Ciga years ago. I stayed at the Danielli two years ago, and had dinner at the Gritti. Danielli is beautiful, old, service was good, but I really disliked the restaurant on the top floor. At the Gritti we just went to the restaurant, arriving there with a gondola and we sat outside by the canal. This was early October. It was fabulous.
Aug 14th, 2003, 03:00 AM

"Danielli ..I really disliked the restaurant on the top floor ..".

Tulips, could you please share your experience?
Jul 19th, 2010, 06:53 PM

Not only that, but I had a 50Euro per person breakfast at that restaurant on top. When the bill came I went to get another plate!
Jul 20th, 2010, 11:52 AM

Yes, both are Starwood properties. I have looked at their websites recently, as I will definitely be staying at the Danieli next year, and hopefully the Gritti the following. I have not stayed at either before although when I had afternoon tea at the Danieli previously, I enjoyed that experience.