Dancing in Sorrento, Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any places to dance tango, waltz or swing (or barring those, any other ballroom or latin dance) in Sorrento or surrounding areas?

Will be there in July 2005.
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:44 PM

As longtime ballroom dancers, my wife and I have found that we usually have better success tracking foreign dance floors through the dance community rather than the travel community. Although your studio and coaches may know little about the specific area, they may be able to provide leads or suggest contacts. Try searching the internet for local studios and then e-mailing them for information. For swing dancing, the internet yellow pages might be useful (although there may be a language barrier).

We have also had some luck with "dinner and dance" type packages and have gone on a few evening river cruises that featured dancing. You might want to consider such possibilities.

Dancing overseas is a great way to meet people. We have found that European dancers are particularly curious about West Coast Swing.

Good luck and happy dancing.
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:55 PM

In Sorrento at the Tasso Theater right on Tasso Square (downstairs) they have a traditional Italian dance review.

They also play ballroom dance music and one night I watched tourists dance.
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, talk about a coincidence. I have two friends who have been in Sorrento (I saw them on the webcam yesterday) the past few days who go dancing in Sorrento. They are definitely into swing, and my buddy said there is a great club in Sorrento where he and his wife went a couple of years ago and were planning to go each night on this trip.

I believe they are traveling to Rome today, but he has emailed me a couple of times, so I will e-mail him your post. If I get a response, I'll post back.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a place in Sorrento called the Foreigners Club which anyway can go to, we went there for lunch and also a drink as it has a wonderful view from the terrace. I'm pretty sure they have dinner dance type evenings, we saw the band instruments sitting beside a dance floor. The Foreigners Club is signposted, it's in the old part of town, just head towards the waterfront and keep a look out.
Kay
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:33 PM

That must be where maitai's friends go, I had forgotten about The Foreigner's Club. They have the best views too.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, it must be too early to be making sense....

I meant any ONE can go to (you don't have to be a member).
Kay
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:30 AM

Dana - The Foreigners' Club (Circolo dei Forestieri) has music most nights from 21.00.

http://www.sorrentoggi.it/c_forestieri/c_forestieri.htm

This link lists other clubs in Sorrento:

http://www.portanapoli.com/Eng/Sorre...y_so_pubs.html

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
My foreign correspondent (actually my buddy, Doug, who is traveling in Italy sent this e-mail to me from Rome today:

"We had a blast in Sorrento. Yes, there's dancing in Sorrento at the Foreigner's Club (Circolo Forestieri). It's a beautiful place near downtown Sorrento. Ask about it and I'm sure they will get info on how to get to it. Right on a cliff overlooking the Bay of Naples. Dino and Ciro play all kinds of music (fun musicians) including 50s rock (swing dancing), tangos, waltzes, blues, cha cha, samba, you name it. No cover charge, and it starts at 9:00 PM till ??? Drinks are cheap, and you can have dinner there, which is pretty good. They have an outdoor patio area thats very beautiful, and Jackie and I dance there often on the cement. Great place, highly recommended."

Have a great time
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:15 AM

Also noteworthy is the fact that the Foreigner's Club is a good place to pick up brochures, transportation schedules and the bathrooms are clean and have soap!

I use it as an R&R during the day, sometimes sitting by the railing having a cool drink.