Cefalu, Sicily on a Sunday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way our trip is shaping up, it looks like we might spend a Sunday (in May) in Cefalu.The train schedule for Palermo TO Cefalu is fine, but it's not so great on the return. The trenitalia site showed me the bus schedule but only for Mon. - Sat., and I couldn't find a way to get it to show Sunday. Does that mean there is no bus from Cefalu to Palermo on Sundays? We're mostly interested in just meandering around Cefalu but will the fishermen be out on a Sunday? Shops and restaurants open? Or are we really better off hanging around Palermo on a Sunday? thank you; you've been very helpful on my other posts/questions.
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 01:59 PM

Cefalu being a kind of resort is the type of place that would be more open than a big city like Palermo.

Lots of trains Cefalu to Palermo - the last being around 10 pm - no problem getting back by train (see www.bahn.de/en- the German Railways pan-European schedule site that is usually very accurate - but no problem going Cefalu to Palermo on a Sunday or any day till late at night - just 50 minute ride.
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 02:01 PM

Cefalu being kind of a resort town should be more hopping than Palermo which I found rather dead on the Sunday I were there.

And there are hourly or so trains Cefalu to Palermo until 10 pm on a Sunday - NO problem getting back - go to www.bahn.de/en to confirm as I did (German Railways official site - online all-European schedules which are usually very accurate.
Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks PalenQ but I should have been more specific about why I didn't like the train schedule that I saw. I saw return trains listed at about 2 pm and 5 pm, and I was thinking we might want to return around 3 or 4. If nothing else, I'd like to see a bus schedule to see how often they run on a Sunday, so I'd know how much flexibility we'd have. But I also didn't know about using the bahn site outside of Germany -- a great hint!
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 08:41 AM

Ok gottit - there is a gap from 2 to 5pm, times obviously when many folks are not traveling on that route on a Sunday - I completely understand!
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There will quite likely NOT be buses on Sunday (which would explain why you can't find a timetable). Saturday afternoon there will be fewer than on week days. I would also expect quite a lot of places to be closed. Sundays can be really dead in some parts of Europe.

Ah, I found the bus company timetable, see: http://www.saistrasporti.it/en/orari...=338&l2=54&b=1
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks thursdaysd but unfortunately, that one also says only Monday to Saturday. I'm convinced!I'm still playing around with our schedule so we'll see.
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 01:07 PM

Leave Palermo late and if bored too soon in Cefalu -unlikely - head to seaside for a picnic!
Old Jan 24th, 2016, 01:49 PM

Most of the shops (except maybe the souvenir shops) will be closed on Sunday. Sicily adheres fairly strictly to the Sunday rest. Restaurants will be open and the locals will be out for Sunday mass and caffè or a long lunch with the family afterwards.
May will be warm enough for the beach and the beach in Cefalù isn't bad at all.