Help with Sicily

Search

Help with Sicily

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Sicily

I've got 4 full days to do Sicily. There is a breif stop with family in Palermo after that I'm trying to figure out whether to do Agrigento or Siracuse. I was also thinking of doing Siracuse first then Agrigento then Palermo, but's kind of tight.
We're relying on rail all the way. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone as to which city and what you found to be the best. Thanks
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 11:56 PM

Ah! Finally someone's going to beautiful Sicily.
Agrigento is a must. Also Taormina, which you could do together with Siracusa. Try a trip up Mt. Etna from Taormina. At Palermo you must go to Monreale to see the Cathedral. 4 days is not much and the trains are VERY slow (mostly single track), but you should be able to do it all.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 12:40 AM

Does it have to be by train? In Sicily, buses are often faster and more frequent.

Check the train schedules at
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Bus Palermo-Agrigento:
http://www.cuffaro.info/index.htm

To get from Agrigento to Siracusa by bus, you have to go through Catania (as you also have to by train):
Agrigento-Catania:
http://www.saistrasporti.it/taborari...p;x=45&y=0
Catania-Siracusa:
www.interbus.it

From Catania, there are also buses to Taormina:
www.interbus.it

Fly into Palermo and out of Catania. There are buses from both Taormina and Siracusa to Catania airport:
www.interbus.it
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 03:03 AM

You have reminded me of our trip from Cefalu to Palermo by train. The trains were running every hour and we arrived at the station intending to catch the third of the ones running over the period of three hours we'd looked at.
We found that the next train due was the second followed by the first (which by now was running two hours late ) ! It had something to do with the fact that some of these trains travel a very long way-from the mainland and so delays really affect the timetable.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Grazzie everyone! There was a lot of really great and useful info. We can certainly go by bus once on the island. Thanks for the web links, Zerlina. I imagine we’ll get caught up with family in Ficarazzi, outside of that I’m weighing what my nephew will want to do.