Notices

D-Day Tours in Normandy

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Ruth

D-Day Tours in Normandy

I will be traveling to the Normandy Coast later this year. Can anyone give me information on guided tours of the D-Day beaches and points of interest. Also, where is the best place to stay while visiting that area.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:31 PM
StCirq

Bayeux and Caen are great bases for visiting the Normandy beaches. I don't know about guided tours, as I've always driven, but I'm sure there are tours from both these cities that you could hook up with. And it's no big deal to rent a car and travel the beaches yourself.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Tom

Ruth - I was in Normandy last week and stayed at a B&B in Bayeux owned by Colonel and Mrs. Chillcott. He is a retired British Army Officer. He also gives Battlefield tours. You can do a search on this forum "Colonel Chillcott". Double room w/bath 46euros, Battlefield tour really started at breakfast at 9am then on to his map room at 10am then on the road in his van returning at 8pm. There were four of us, he charged 330euros for the first couple then 20euros per head and 20 euros for diesel, plus lunch. Email me direct for more information or questions. Regards - Tom

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Phyllis Pearsall

"Chilcott" might give you better responses..

he is SUPER. I stayed with him before as well.

I do recommend renting/driving, too.

PP

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Betsy

My husband and I stayed at the Chilcott's (within walking distance of downtown Bayeux) in early June 2000. Loved their informal B&B. Skipped the Colonel's tour and did it ourselves.

Le Manor des Doyens
St Loup Hors
Bayeux
14400 France
From US: 011 33 2 31 22 39 09
[email protected]
www.vrbo.com/vrbo/352.htm

Bon voyage