paris to normandy?

Search

paris to normandy?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paris to normandy?

How does one go from Paris to Normandy most easily and inexpensively? Is there a D-Day tour one can take upon arrival in Normandy?
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 01:09 PM

Where in Normandy. Normandy is a region of France not a city. You can catch a 07:12 train from Paris to Bayeux with a change at Caen and be at Bayeux at 9:21. Do a Google search for D-Day tours at Bayeux and you should be able to find what you want. Price wise nothing beats the train.

Larry J
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 05:16 PM

Both Bayeux and Caen offer D-Day tours. Write to both tourist info centers for info on tours from both cities.

Just picked up a brochure in Bayeux last week:
* www.battlebus.fr: 1/2 day is 35E, 8hr is 65-70E
* www.normandywebguide.com: rates from 35E to 75E based on duration

Go to www.sncf.com to get train rates - you'll need to add on that cost.

If you're staying in Paris, it might be more effective to take a tour with one of the Paris-based companies. Compare to tours at:
* www.parisvision.com (currently running a special on their home page)
* www.cityrama.com

Good luck!
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 06:23 PM

Echoing the above posters, taking a train from Paris to Normandy (via Caen to Bayuex) is the best bet. We have stayed in Bayeux three times and love the charm of that quaint town. Don't forget to shop at the morning open market and to view the famous Bayeux Tapestry. While in Bayeux, I would recommend staying at The Hotel Notre Dame, right across from the cathedral. Their reasonable rates include meals too - at their on-site restaurant that has won awards. Truly a gastronomic experience - not to mention a terrific value! In Bayeux, there is a local tour company called 'Bus Fly' that takes a small group (approx 8 people) out to the D-Day beaches, the British War Memorial Museum, the US/British cemetery, as well as other day trips (such as Mont St. Michel, etc) for very good prices. Have a wonderful time in Normandy, it is one of my most favorite regions in France.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 12:21 PM

I see that the 7:12 train arrives in Caen at 9:04 and the train to Bayeux leaves a couple of minutes later. Is it possible to catch the connecting train in such very little time?
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 12:30 PM

Is it literally two minutes later? That might be a stretch, but if it's 5 or more minutes, you should be fine. It's a small station, and in my experience when there are connections like that the second train is usually parked right on the next track, or just a short walk away.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 07:20 AM

I've been trying to locate contact info for the Hotel Notre Dame in Bayeau that Huitres mentioned. But it's nowhere on the web. Does anyone have info? Thanks.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 08:12 AM
rex

Is this it?

Hôtel-Restaurant Notre Dame, 44 rue des Cuisiniers (tel 02.31.92.87.24, fax 02.31.92.67.11). Friendly and very pleasant logis, with a magnificent view of the cathedral. Menus from 95F/€ 14.48 (with rabbit in cider), with a special Norman one at 145F/€ 22.11. Closed mid-Nov to mid-Dec, plus Sun evening & Mon in winter. 160?300F/€ 24?46.

from http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid..._information-i

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 09:26 AM

There's a tour to Normandy that is roundtrip from Paris at parisvision.com
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:07 PM

We felt there was more to see than we could squeeze into a day, so when our plane landed in Paris, we caught a train to Caen and stayed three days, then returned to Paris for the next two weeks. We enjoyed Caen, although it is not as historical appearing as Bayeux, having been destroyed in WWII, but the invasion sites were as fully available, and we wanted to spend time in the museums and the ducal chalet. There is excellent food everywhere.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:16 PM

Putting in my two cents worth--been to both Caen and Bayeux and would recommend Bayeux over Caen for a first time visit to Normandy for reasons already listed above. Can't say enough + things about Bayeux!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 03:30 PM

There have been numerous postings on this in the recent past. As stated by LarryJ, I too go from Paris to Normandy via train. I find it most convenient and direct. You can take a train into Bayuex, Caen, or Rouen. I would suggest making Bayuex as a base since nearest in proximity to the DDay beaches and also home to the famous medieval Bayeux Tapestry, as well as cathedral.

When in Bayeux, I used 'Bus Fly' tours, a local tour group that takes about 8-10 individuals on a small shuttle bus to the DDay beaches, British Museum, the American cemetery, etc. It is very reasonably priced and you can choose between 1/2 day and full day tours -- including tours to Mont St. Michel as well. I am not sure if you will be able to locate 'Bus Fly' via the internet, but you could certainly check with the Bayeux information office and they can refer you directly to 'Bus Fly".