Reload this Page >

Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland May, 2011

Old Sep 27th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
My wife and I are planning our trip in late May,early June of 2011. We have a tentative itinerary of the places we would stay. Not sure if flying directly to Prague from Boston, or flying to Amsterdam, then take Easy-Jet to Prague. We would be renting a car in Prague. Any recommendations on restaurants and places to stay would be most appreciated. We do like to explore cities on foot, visit some museums, but mostly interested in the people and culture of each place we visit. We like to picnic and do some bicycling and hiking. Here are the following places we would be staying.
Prague (2-3 days)
Cesky Krumlov (1-2)
Salzburg (2)
Vienna (2)
Budapest (2)
Eger (1)
Levoca (1)
Stary Smokovec (1)
Krakow(2)
Olomovc(1)
Prague (1)
Not sure if the places in Slovakia make the most sense. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Nick
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Too much moving around and too short stays in each place (too many places anyway) for my taste, but that's up to you. I'd definitely stay two nights in one place in the High Tatras region - either Stary Smokovec or Levoca would be ok. Stary Smokovec has the better hotels, is a bit more touristy and has more mountain feeling. Levoca has the beautiful old town instead.

Otherwise it looks like a good itinerary.

I.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:27 AM

That seems like far too much moving. I am doing research for several of the locations you mention and here are the days (not nights) recommended on the message boards for a basic/decent overview of each city:
Salzburg 2
Vienna 3-4
Budapest 3-4
Krakow- 2 for city, 1 for Auschwitz, 1/2 for Salt Mines

I would consolidate your list down and try to remove several of the 1 night stays, packing/unpacking, driving, finding the new hotel etc will take up a good portion of your trip if you move that often.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

thank you for the information Ingo
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

thanks lindy27 for your input
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 10:39 AM

Not sure if the places in Slovakia make the most sense>

don't know either but do know that Bratislava is a really nice town and only about an hour or so from Vienna if driving to Slovakia - at least a few hour halt?
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 01:53 PM

We stayed at Pension Dietzenhofer in Prague twice, & really enjoyed our stay. It's located in Mala Strana, on the castle side of the bridge. It's quieter than Old Town. What I like about this location is that you inevitabley end up walking across Charles Bridge every day, & the views are just amazing, especially at night. The price includes a nice breakfast, the owner & staff are always friendly & polite.

In Krakow we stayed at Hotel Saski, in Old Town, about 1/2 block from the Main Square. Price was very reasonable in 2003 & included a huge buffet breakast (hot & cold foods) with eggs cooked to order.

In Prague for sightseeing, don't miss Vysehrad, one of our favorite areas of Prague. It is quieter than Old Town, Wenceslas, etc., up on a hill with beautiful views. Main sights in Vysehrad are Sts Peter & Paul Church & the beautiful national cemetery, plus some fortress ruins.

If you click on my name, you can read my trip report from August 2009, & I give names & addresses (whenever possible) of restaurants we ate at.

In Cesky Krumlov, we stayed at Hotel Zlaty Andel, right on the main square & price includes a delicious, huge breakfast buffet.

I have been to Prague twice, & stayed 4 - 5 days each time. We stayed 3 days in Krakow, and 2 days in Cesky Krumlov. Hope this helps.

I agree with other posters that you are doing too much moving around with your current itinerary.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Hello Kwoo,
Thank you very much for all the information. I'm printing out your report from Aug. 2009. I'll try to condense our itinerary.
Nick
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 04:55 AM

Glad I could be of some help! Let us know what your final itinerary looks like.
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Hello Kwoo,
I read your trip report. It was very informative and I'm sure I will follow many of your tips. I figured our driving mileage will be about 1250 miles. We'll probably add an extra day at Cesky Krumlov, and Stary Smokovec. Thanks again.
Nick
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 07:35 AM

Hi,

You may check out also Eisriesenwelt and Hallstatt (both in Austria)and maybe replace Levoca and Olomouc with them. Or, prolong the stay in Budapest and Krakow for one day in each place. The rest looks sufficient in time.

We were travelling similar route, so I wanted to recommend some nice places on the way. In Salzburg - Vienna area these are Werfen / Eisriesenwelt caves (30 miles south from Salzburg) and Hallstatt (40 miles east from Werfen / Eisriesenwelt). The first one is the world's largest ice caves system and the second one is a small town in Tirol region with breathtaking views:

http://eurobuildings.info/wallpapers...statt_w001.jpg

Both are worth spending a day in, even if sacrificing Levoca and Olomouc.

2-3 days seems enough for Budapest, unless you'd like to visit some museums. We spent 1 day on sighseeing and 1 day on Memento Park and further sightseeing. We also spent 1 day in Szechenyi thermal baths but if you plan to visit Eger there is no need to do so. Sightseeing is easy as you just walk by the river on one side (from Margareth island to Gellert Hill, with Beautiful view on Parlament) and then on the other side (with Parlament itself).

Interesting place in Budapest is Memento Park. Buses go there right from the city centre. This is place, where monuments from communism times are collected. Gloomy part of Hungarian (and not only) history. This is actually the most interesting thing about Central Europe how beautiful architecture from the past is combined with ugly houses from communism times and Budapest is the best place to experience this.

If talking about Hungarian people and culture, two best things are drinking really good wine and spending half of the day relaxing in thermal baths.

For Krakow and surroundings it can be 1, 2 or 3 days, depending on what you want to see. All major attractions in Krakow (Old Town, Wawel castle and historical Jewish district Kazimierz) are in the city centre, in walking distance one from another. A day is enough even if you plan to visit some museums. I'm personally allergic to Krakow museums as they remind me of mandatory school trips (I'm from Poland) but some people like them.

If you plan to visit Auschwitz, you need to book whole day and probably no evening activities at that day. It's around 50 miles driving there and back. Usually people feel bad mentally after what they see there and don't want to have fun in the evening after Auschwitz trip.

Two more interesting places in Krakow are Wieliczka salt mines and Nowa Huta. Wieliczka is on UNESCO heritage list, it's an old salt mine changed into kind of museum. A real fairy-tale in a salt-mine - ghomes and saints from salt, rivers and so on. Nowa Huta is a district of Krakow (sometimes considered a separate town), it was built in 40-50th as ideal town of communism, perfectly planned and with innovative architecture for that times. It hasn't changed much to now but looks old and eroded. If you like this period in history, this place is interesting to visit.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi Julia,
Thank you very much for the information. I will certainly use your notes not having traveled to these countries outside of Austria way back in 1975. Thanks again.
Nick
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 09:29 AM

Nowa Huta is a district of Krakow (sometimes considered a separate town), it was built in 40-50th as ideal town of communism, perfectly planned and with innovative architecture for that times.>

As locals are known to say:

"Rome was not built in a day, but Nova Huta was"
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 01:22 PM

This is where we stayed in Budapest:

http://www.bellevuebudapest.com/inde...en&faz=1&aaz=0

If going to Slovakia, you might be interested in the back-country Ruthenian churches. They are clearly marked on the Michelin map of Slovakia and ae usually found on the outskirts of small villages, often in a small grove of woods on a hillside. You'll need a car or find a local guide with transportation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7623046345988/
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suggest you cjeck inti tourist info office in Bardejov for a very good map
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 03:16 PM

I just noticed this post. We did some of the portions of your trip several years ago, but a bit in reverse. From Prague, we drove to Telc, where we spent 2 nights, then to Olomouc for 2 nights. Then a long drive east to Levoca, where we spent 2 nights. From there, on to Eger for 2 nights, then on to Budapest.

We were focusing on castles, and visited a lot of them. We even visited on some that we didn't find in guidebooks, but learned of them because they were marked on our Michelin map.

Eger was a cute little town, though one full day was more than enough time there for us. Levoca was cute, but be mindful that eastern Slovakia is very poor. It was the only place in Europe that I've stayed in (not that I've been to every country) where it felt creepy at night, because of the poorness of the town and the people. The hotel there, Hotel U Leva, on the other hand, was very nice, delightful room, and the owners were truly gracious. We also very much liked the B&B that we stayed at in Olomouc, Penzion Na Hrade.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

thank you PalenQ, Michael, and Lexana. Any information is certainly appreciated.
Nick
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 08:26 AM

The full set of the Czechoslovak pictures might interest you. They are presented in sequence. In 1975 we started in Munich, went to Austria, up to Czechoslovakia, to Hungary and back to Vienna where we dropped off the car. That was a 3 week trip.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Hello,
It has been awhile and I appreciate all the suggestions. My wife and I are still trying to plan our trip to eastern Europe. We have a tentative itinerary which includes
Prague, Vienna, Budapest, and Krakow with stops in between including Cesky Krumlov and Salzburg. We will be driving a rental. My questions are: What would be a a good stopover for 2 days between Budapest and Krakow, and also between Krakow and Prague? Any accommodations, restaurants, and sites would be welcomed. Thanks.
Nick
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM

I think the best stopover between Krakow and Prague would be Wroclaw (Poland).
If you have two days between Budapest and Krakow, go to Bialka Tatrzanska or somewhere in the Tatra Mountains.
Zakopane is nice but often crowded...
my website: poland-travelguide.blogspot.com (there is also my email, you can write if you have some questions about Poland)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -