Cyclades Island Hopping

Search

Cyclades Island Hopping

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyclades Island Hopping

My fiance and I are travelling to Greece in late June and would like to visit the Cyclades. We currently have plane tickets booked to Santorini and have 5 days to spend. We would like to travel to one other island for 2 of the 5 days, perhaps Paros, Amorgos, or Naxos. I have a few questions;

1. What is the most efficient way for us to travel to one of the islands in this limited timeframe?
2. Do you have any suggestions as to the best of the Cyclades islands for small secluded white sandy beaches?
3. Ferry timetables seem to be all over the place! Does anyone have a recommendation for a comprehensive web guide? We are particularly struggling with the Hellenic seaways...we keep seeing references to hydrofoil services around Santorini Naxos and Paros but the website's interactive map doesn't seem to display any of these options.

Can anyone help us, we are greek Island novices!!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Nobody, not even the Greek ferry companies, will know what schedules will be in four months' time. Late June is close to the peak season so connections will be plentiful, and there will be several sailings a day to Paros and Naxos (though I'm not sure about Amorgos). Ticket agents on the islands will have full details.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 08:13 AM

www.gtp.gr is the ferry website I've been recommending, it covers just about everything once it's been published by the ferry companies. It does take a little time to figure out, however, but once you do it's very helpful. None of the ferry schedules for late June will be available until it's much closer to your departure time.

[For some weird reason when I post this the website addresses duplicate themselves. Click on the 2nd example. Would someone please tell me if you see both addresses or only one? Maybe it's my computer playing tricks on me.]

I believe the 7 a.m. morning ferry from Santorini has been running reliably for many years now. Barring unforseen delays from high winds and mechanical breakdowns there's no reason to think it will be cancelled or the departure time changed. That being said, it's always a good idea to check for last-minute changes to departure times, "just in case."

In late June the Hellenic Seaways highspeed ferry is a daily occurrence. Last summer it left Santorini for Ios, Paros, Naxos and Mykonos at 11:10. It takes 30 minutes to get to Ios, an hour and 40 minutes to Paros, 2 hours and 20 minutes to Naxos and about 3 hours and 10 minutes to Mykonos.

http://www.greekislands.gr/hfd/
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Lee, the website address appears twice in the "preview my reply", but only once in the posting itself. BTW, just booked my flight to Athens for end of Aug/early Sep.

JoshandKate, as others have said, there will be ample ferry connections between Santorini and Naxos/Paros in late June, but no way of getting an accurate timetable more than a week or two in advance. Just check when you get to Santorini, and there's no need to prebook. There are a few highspeed catamarans (not hydrofoils) between these islands, and that would be the most efficient way of travel.

Amorgos is a bit more difficult to reach, so probably best avoided with your short timeframe.

Small, secluded white sandy beaches? Hmm...Most Greek beaches are a mixture of pebbles and golden sand at best. Naxos has a long sandy beach called Plaka, and it is large enough to have a stretch by yourself in June. If you are willing to explore a bit (read walk) you can find little coves along the coast of most islands in the Cyclades. The shoreline is rocky, but there will be coves with a bit of sand in places.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 10:12 AM

Don't rub it in, I have to stay here this year.
Besides, I hear that Antiparos is going to be paved over as a parking lot this summer.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:10 AM

What? A year in Santorini without Brotherleelove? Sorry to hear that. And maybe if they turn Antiparos into a parking lot, there will be a bus to St Georges that runs after 2PM. There are some beautiful beaches at that end of the island, but no way to spend the day there without a moped or car.