Customs/foot and mouth

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Gael

Customs/foot and mouth

Can anyone give me a heads up on what to expect in US customs after a vacation in England? I have heard different stories, including one where they confiscate your shoes and you never get them back again. I picture masses of barefoot tourists padding off to their vehicles. We will be landing in Detroit.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 08:49 AM
xxx

Landed at O'Hare 2 weeks ago. Standard questions asked on the customs form to fill out regarding food products, being on a farm etc. USDA officials were asking as we were standing at the luggage carousel, and over the PA system, that anyone who had been on a farm, been near animals or had stayed at a B&B please present themselves. I don't know what was done then. We did not fit any of those criteria. Our suitcases were never even opened.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Roger

We came home to Boston from London Apr 16. There were signs up about answering questions candidly about your visit to UK. If you had not been on a farm or had contact with farm animals, and were not bringing in any prohibited items, you were not stopped by Immigration or Customs. Very smooth arrival!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 09:38 AM
michele

Gael,
Arrived at LAX on Saturday from Heathrow. Just asked if we had been on a farm or in the countryside (we hadn't). Nothing beyond that.

Michele

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 11:00 AM
dana

returned on april 16 to newark airport, asked if had been on a farm, bed and breakfast,and if were bring in any dairy or food products.we were waved through with no problems.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Gretchen

Returned from Paris and had pretty much the same thing as other posters. One woman near us had been in the English countryside and had put her shoes in a plastic bag. They were disinfected with a bleach solution. At our airport there was an additional x-ray examination at the USDA station. We brought back cheese and tinned foie gras with no problem.