Fox Hunting

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 03:43 AM
Roger

Fox Hunting

Anybody else disgusted by the Blair regime's attempt to wipe out the traditional English sport of fox hunting? What is it with lefties? They seem to hate all blood sports, from hunting and fishing all the way to boxing and football.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 03:46 AM
Clive

Troll I presume!

Go away child. This is a travel forum, not a politacal forum.

Write a letter to the Times.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 06:15 AM
SharonM

Actually, I would be disgusted If someone were NOT trying to wipe out fox hunting. It's no better than big game hunting where animals are uselessly killed for "sport" only. Pretty horrible.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Buyer

Fly away little troll...back like a good baby troll to Lonely Planet...

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Jurgen

I agree with Clive and Buyer. This is possibly the most blatant case of trolling I have seen on this board. I wouldn't mind betting that Roger and Sharon are the same person.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Rex

I can almost guarantee that Sharon had nothing to do with starting this thread.

And I doubt that Roger is a troll.

I am not opposed to fox hunting, and would never have a problem telling Sharon that, face-to-face, in civil conversation. Many people disagree over all kinds of issues involving sociology, biology, science and culture.

Some people are opposed to fishing, sport, commercial and otherwise. I am not. I could have a civil conversation with them on that subject also.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Jurgen

Ah! The omni-present Rex.

Rex will answer all threads, whether it is a troll or not, whether it has anything to do with travel or not, and whether he knows anything about it or not.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Rex

Well, I do know something about foxhunting actually, and it has plenty to do with travel, though it didn't seem relevant to add it to this thread.

But since you asked...

When I stayed in Normandy in the spring of 1999, I met a number of fathers of kids who enjoy foxhunting in France a great deal. The sport is radically different in France from that which is "practiced" in England (practiSed, they would say).

Fox hunting is routinely on foot in France, and groups of 20-50 hunters make an outing of it. It's a very social event, and a substantial fraction do not even carry a gun. Fewer than 10% of the hunters ever fire a shot.

In France, it is considered a "blood right" to not only be permitted to hunt - - but moreover to cross on to ANYONE's private property to pursue the hunt. This has been quite controversial in recent years, and there has been a great hue and cry to preserve "le droit" (the right).

Thre is also a question as to whether "English" foxhunting would "cross the channel", if it is eventually outlawed in England. the French, being French like they are, certainly don't want that.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 09:47 AM
SharonM

Jurgen,
Mighty presumptious of you assuming I'm the poster...Perhaps you should listen to your own comment "whether he knows anything about it or not" before ASSuming and making such a statement about me. Hope you didn't lose too much on your little bet.

Rex, regardless of your feelings about fox hunting, I thank you for your confidence in me as well as your ability to responsibly address the issue in a civil manner.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Jurgen

Sorry Sharon, I thought that the only way that you could reply to this daft troll thread, was to be the original poster.

Rex just replies to everything regardless.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 12:40 PM
roger

Just so you know, I am not the Roger who posted! Now, if you want an expert opinion on Haggis hunting let me know.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 09:21 PM
btilke

Rex is incorrect in his response that in France one has the right to cross on anyone's property to hunt. If someone owns more than 20 hectares, he (she) has the right to refuse access.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 03:55 AM
Roger

About 70% of all rabbits die each winter. In my neck of the woods, Maryland's eastern shore, a large amount, if not a majority, are killed by foxes. They are chewed apart in the most vicious ways. Sharon, you should stand guard over a rabbit warren. Regarding the subject, the truth is that foxes will be killed in the United Kingdom one way or the other. They kill too many sheep and the English enjoy devouring nice, hearty shoulders and legs of lamb. If they are not hunted down, they will be poisened or trapped. Many animals caught in traps die excruciating deaths and often chew the trapped appendage off in order to free themselves.

Old Apr 5th, 2001, 07:40 AM
Sally

Ignore Roger. He is some wierd troll.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 11:20 AM
foxhunter

It's been said that if you want to hunt deer, hunt in France. If you choose to hunt fox, go to England. But if you want to risk breaking your neck, try Ireland. They really ride to hounds there with a hell bent for leather attitude. I've ridden with the Irish many times, though I must admit, that now I only hunt a "drag." It is just as much fun (at least for me) and I don't have to be part of the actual kill, which isn't really too cute to see, and I now choose to not be a part of it either. But I still love to take the fences in full stride. Sorry Roger, I'm one of them thar proud "lefties," but I also a horse nut.