Reload this Page >

Customs - Confused?

Search

Customs - Confused?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 03:07 PM
Brad

Customs - Confused?

I have called, read their pamphlets, and even personally asked some US Customs agents and I am still confused as to exactly how much my wife and I can bring back to the states of such items as wine and Olive Oil. Yes, we really enjoy Spanish Wines and also their Gourmet Olive Oil. Would appreciate any and all comments. Thanks - Brad

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 03:24 PM
Glenn

I have noticed the same thing, it does not state anywhere on ypur customs form on how much wine/beer/liquor one can bring into the country. I have just assumed that I would have to declare it if I brought more in than the $400 per person. This may be incorrect, but the way I have used. Can you email the web site ? <BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 03:54 PM
s.fowler

I have a faint memory of one quart each... I'd think as long as you're not clanking or leaking you should be fine

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 04:58 AM
Beth

Brad, <BR>I don't know if there is any restriction on Olive oil. You are only supposed to bring back 1 liter per person of wine, I think. However, if you bring back more they may charge you a duty fee. However, I don't know anyone who has ever actually had to pay. My husband and I brought back a case of wine from Italy, walked through customs "clanking" as Sally put it, and never paid anything. We did not itemize our declaration because it was under the $400 limit. If I were you I would only worry about how much wine you can CARRY, not what the rules are.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 06:46 PM
Brad

We wish to thank all of you for your comments and suggestions. They have all been useful and appreciated. An additional thanks to those who sent their comments and suggestions direct to our email address. As usual, Fodor People are the GREATEST!