Current carry-on restrictions/problems

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying this friday for the first time since the latest security situation. I'm looking for an accurate, first hand account of carry-on restrictions (rather than 3rd and 4th hand accounts).

So, I'd appreciate hearing from the Fodorites that have recently flown.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:29 AM

My son flew to Shanghai last Friday. His handbaggage consisted of: mobile phone, digital camera,wallet, passport spare tshirt and boxers, trainers,spare trousers -all in a backpack which was within the size limit. He was really annoyed that he couldnt have his deodorant with him though!
I was on an internal flight within the UK at the weekend. The no-lipstick thing is a real bummer as far as I am concerned. My lips were all dried up in no time and that was a short flight. I had my handbag with tissues, wallet,cheque book and camera. Didnt encounter any problems but - YUK! Do I hate all these bare feet! They would need to put us through one of these disinfected foot baths like at the swimming pools! (Heaven forbid !)
The floor at Glasgow Airport was filthy. My husband said - "oh! theyve put down a mat for us at least" ,but I said" Yes! And just look how dirty it is!"
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:35 AM

So bring a pair of socks that you can take off. No big deal!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Pausanias

I just returned from France yesterday. We flew Continental out of CDG.

The restrictions on carrying fluids are still in place, with the exceptions for baby formula, etc. We were not permitted to have duty free purchases brought to the plane (as we might have while leaving the US). I asked security if I could carry a contact lens case with a few drops of fluid and was told it was OK. Fluids are permitted in checked luggage. Electronics are permitted.

Carry-ons will undergo x-ray and hand searches at the security barriers, and again at the gate. In addition, all passengers were thoroughly frisked at the gate at CDG. We did not have to undergo that indignity at Newark.

We arrived at CDG three hours early, checked in quickly and were seated at our gate for a long 2 1/2 hour wait. I'd still suggest arriving early.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:39 AM

altajoe, I think it depends where you are traveling and through which airports and airlines. I can tell you about my experiences from Paris, CDG yesterday on USAir but that may not help if you are going to Italy or elsewhere. Deborah
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:44 AM

pausanias, I also flew out of CDG yesterday on USAir. Chocolates, cheese and meats in a tin as well as foie gras were allowed to be purchased duty free and carried on the plane.

Also, there were no places to get something to eat or drink or toilettes available to us once we were at our gate after clearing the security check. If you needed any of those those items you would have to go through the same long security lines. Deborah
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Has anyone flown out of LAX to Europe recently? I was planning to take some nibbles on board for my husband and I - like crackers/cheese/pate. Are these acceptable? I was also considering taking an empty plastic water bottle and then fill it on board to keep with us at the seat - instead of bothering the steward/ess for a glass of water each time you need a mouth full.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Kadurk49
I am just a wee bit fussy about these matters, I know.
The other thing I dread is the long haul toilet issue. You know the one - the male species goes to the loo and aims badly. The next person goes in with their airline freebie sox on and dries up the spill with them!!!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Pausanias

DA --

Oops, I meant duty free liquor, and other fluids such as olive oil or mustard or perfume. Canned meats I suppose are OK -- though I checked my tins of Breton sardines (arrived fine). Our security interviewer told us cheese was not permitted in the cabin, perhaps she was wrong or the policy is not consistent.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:08 AM

pausanias, It's possible you were told no cheese because of its odor I became a little paranoid because I thought everyone around me could smell the "stinky" cheese I was bringing back for a romantic arrival dinner with my husband. I know, romance and stinky cheese don't seem to go together but my husband loves French cheese

unfortunately, my arrival was delayed too long for that romantic dinner but we will enjoy the cheese soon. Deborah
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
sheez, so bring extra socks or a pair of slippers, damp airplane toilet floors on long haul flights seems far from the biggest inconvenience in all this!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Sorry! Thought I would try and bring a bit of light "relief" into the subject natter!
Looks like we're going to have to learn to live with all these regulations.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:08 AM

I recently read an article in the SF Chronical that suggested airline passengers go to a medical supply store and buy those paper hospital shoes as the article claimed one can put those on while going through security shoeless. Evidently you get six pairs for around $5.00.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:00 AM

That's a good idea, actually (the hospital shoes). Last time I flew in August, I was only wearing sandals, so was barefoot on the floor and didn't like that, but I thought they had done away with that take off your choes thing. So now they have signs up basically saying you don't positively have to take your shoes off, but if you don't, they may discriminate against you and hold you up longer and search you more. so, I took them off.

It wouldn't surprise me that they wouldn't allow cheese. YOu could smuggle some explosive in cheese just as easily as any other creamy, stick-like product, which is basically what cheese is. I think some people aren't clear on what this issue was all about, which wasn't that the item itself was explosive, but that the alleged terrorists were planning to conceal explosives within the liquid/gel thing and get them on board that way. LIke they planned to put a liquid explosive in the bottom and then fill the top part with the regular thing.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM

We're travling this Friday from LAX to CDG on American Airlines and I've read posts from other websites that you are only allowed 1 carry-on. However, when I've checked AA's website it still indicates 1 carry-on plus a purse, or napsack/bookbag. Anyone have this issue? We don't mind checking our bags on the return flight, but not on the outbound...we're trying to catch a train once we land at CDG.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:44 AM

carylspall--I hate how males cannot aim properly. growing up i had to share a bathroom with two brothers for a while. I get grossed out thinking about it.
I carry a pair of thongs in my handbag, which allows me to remove my socks and shoes (usually flats w/o metal), so my toes can be free. If i must use the on board toilet, i slip them on, but then you run into the issue of the lady who squats and the man who lacks aim leaving presents on the seat

I had family fly out of LAX to their home in Germany. They brought solid, slightly upset that they had to leave the sauce for their sandwich wraps (didn't want to put it on, then have them go soggy), so I assume crackers should be fine. Call the airline and double check maybe?

They also brought nalgene bottles and filled up w/ on board water. So that's a great idea
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:56 AM

If you want footies to wear while you're going through security, I save the hotel shower caps and keep those with me to slip on when I slip my shoes off since not all airports are providing footies at security.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Sorry don't get the problem with taking off shoes at security - what is the issue?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:17 PM

I don't think you'd want to fill an empty water bottle with tap water on the plane--the quality isn't very good.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Based on a flight today flying FROM a UK airport the hand luggage restrictions are

1) A SINGLE bag - so no purse & daysack - with maximum dimensions of 45cm x 35cm x 16cm - about the size of a SMALL laptop bag

2) NO FLUIDS (water, alcohol, etc) or GELS (most toiletries) at all as you go through security.

You can buy them once through security to take on the plane UNLESS you are going to the US where NOTHING like that is allowed

Also cigarette lighters aren't allowed on board at all even as checked luggage

And YES they do enforce the rules STRICTLY

http://tinyurl.com/raalf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -