Currency Fluctuation Conundrum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the expected continued appreciation of the Australian Dollar against the Euro, it would seem that I will have greater purchasing power on this year's trip to France and Germany. Should I upgrade my accommodation and dining arrangements, and spend more lavishly while travelling, or should I simply stay in Europe for an extra week or so, perhaps adding another country to the itinerary? It's such a dilemma, and I would appreciate advice from any regular who isn't heartily sick of grizzling posts about currency values.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:38 AM

The only advice I can offer is that none of the folks on this board are experts in currency trading. As such, I would take any advice offered regarding fx changes with a grain of salt.

That being said, if I were feeling flush enough to upgrade the trip, for whatever reason, I would do it in the following order:

1) Upgrade dining
2) Extend trip
3) Upgrade travel arrangements (fly Premium Economy, for example)
4) Upgrade accommodation - assuming I was staying somewhere half decent. If I were originally staying in 1-star hotels or hostels, I would upgrade this first.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:55 AM

It's really a how long is a piece of string question, but that being said: for me it would depend how close to the bone the original trip was.

You read some plans here and people are staying in the cheapest hotels possible and surviving on Tesco value sandwiches. If your original plans were like this then I'd spend more in the same time purely because a holiday will never be as much fun if you are constantly worried about counting the pennies.

On the other hand, if you already could afford a comfortable hotel and meals out why not stay longer?
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:01 AM

I would always stay longer. I have stayed in very posh hotels in the past but now prefer to stay in more moderate places for longer - we managed 3 weeks each of the last 2 years & are hoping for 4 weeks this year. I just try to make the first and especially the last hotels nicer, and also the ones we're staying in for longer. I'm quite happy with an Italian or French 2-3 star if I'm only staying 1 or 2 nights.

I find that staying in different places makes the trip seem longer too, so in a 3 week trip I'd stay in 3 places for a week each. By the third week, the first place seems so long ago it could be another holiday !

Presumably if you are coming from Oz, it's more cost-effective to stay as long as possible anyway ?
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 08:10 AM
ira

Hi A,

>Given the expected continued appreciation of the Australian Dollar against the Euro, ....

Do you speak to God on a regular basis?

No one knows what the Euro will cost you by the time you get there.

Should you have any extra cash, I suggest:

1. Eat better
2. Eat better
3. Eat better
4. Take a daytrip

If you change your arrival and departure dates and are not flush with cash, what will you do?

Enjoy your visit.

Ditto for better hotels.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Hi
I would stay for an extra week. My experience has also been that the hotels in Germany are less expensive than France. A two or three star hotel in Germany is what we usually get. In France I have gone 3-4 stars, I find the German hotels better, including the buffet breakfasts. A 4* treat occasionally is nice also, especially toward the end of the trip. Nobody that I know can predict the Euro next week, let alone when you go on vacation. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 11:56 AM

do you travel to Europe to enjoy fine hotels and dining

or to see things and to 'travel' around and experience Europe

answer that and your choice will be obious