currency conversion

Mar 12th, 2002, 10:13 PM
Tony

currency conversion

I have read that one should never convert $ in the U.S. Why is this?If so,where is the first place I can convert once landing in Amsterdam.Thank You

Mar 12th, 2002, 10:33 PM
Sjoerd

I have heard that most banks in the USA use bad exchange rates and high fees. The first place where you can exchange money after landing at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport is one of the many bank (exchange) branches at various locations in the airport terminal.

Mar 12th, 2002, 11:00 PM
gary

Currency exchange rates in the U.S. are not very good simply because there is a very low demand for currency exchange here and most bank branches simply don't do it. But I always convert about $40-50 here for starters so that I can get to my hotel first and then look for the best exchange rate (it won't be at the airport). Look for a Thomas Cook or American Express office in your area.

Mar 13th, 2002, 03:15 AM
Jeff

Thanks to 21st century, there isn't the slightest need to exchange currency here or waste any time looking for currency exchange.

When you arrive at Amsterdam airport, there will be ATM's all over the place. When you arrive, use the ATM. Using an ATM gives you the best rates. Just watch out to make sure your bank is not charging you to use a foreign ATM. Some banks have the gall to charge for acccessing your money on which they pay you little or no interest. When you are outside your home country, you don't have to worry about the obnoxeous fee of banks charging you to use their machines as banks are not allowed according to the regulations of the shared teller networks charge such fees.

If you're smart, you won't need too much foreign currency anyway. As you use your credit cards everywhere they are taken; even for small charges. And in the 21st century, credit cards are taken almost everywhere. So I pull out ?20 at a time and rarely need more.....

Mar 13th, 2002, 03:32 AM
xxx

Just make sure that your atm card is set up with a 4-6 digit pin number and make sure your bank understands that you will be using your atm card internationally and check to see if you need to anything extra. Nothing will ruin a vacation quicker than the inability to access your own funds.Have fun in Amsterdam...