Reload this Page >

Where to rent car in Florence 4 Avis Choices

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Karen

I am renting and returning a car to Florence in June. There are four Avis places. I want the one the furthest from all the crowds and town. One is the airport, one is downtown, one is at Via Pratese 64 A/B/C/, the next is Via Jartini 13. Does anyone know which of these places is best to avoid crowds. If I don't pick up at the airport, I save 14% tax also. I got a price for a Level F (highest)standard the size of a Pontiac Grand Am for 280 including all taxes and insurance for 5 days. Is that a good price? Bob? Rex? Dean? Elaine? All you guys who know everything please advise. Thanks Karen

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:15 AM
xxx

If you draw a line passing through Sta. Maria Novella train station, parallel to the river, Avis office on Via Pratese is about 6km from the train station to the northwest. The office on Via Tartini is about half way of the above. Via Pratese is the "normal" way out from Florence to Prato. <BR><BR>In your shoes, though, I'd consider getting the car at athe office of Borgo Ognissanti. To leave Florence from this office, specially to the south, is a piece of cake. All you have to do is to drive to the river bank (150m), follow it to the first bridge (alla Carraria) cross and follow Via de Serragli and the green signs to the autostrada. Returning the car isn't complicated either because you have the river as a reference.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:12 AM
sandi

In 2000, we rent w/ AutoEurope and picked the car up at the Avis location just on the outskirts of town, by the river (128R via Borgognissanti). It was no problem to follow their directions out of town and onto a main road. Just drive across the river, make a couple of turns and you're on the Autostrada.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:13 AM
sandi

Also, we rented an Alpha Romeo 146 for 5 days for about $260.00

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Sherry

Karen. Take the Borgo Ognissanti office. That is the street where the Hertz office is located, I believe that I used, and it was easy to get out of town.<BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Leslie

I returned a car to the Avis office on Borgo Ognissanti, entering the city from the south and crossing the river. It was a little hard to find because we didn't have a good map. Since you are picking up from there, you should have no problem, but do get a good map that shows this street and also reveals which are one-way streets. The rental office faces the street and the cars are all in the adjacent multi-story garage.<BR><BR>As to the size of car, I would recommend you not rent such a large vehicle if you are going to visit small hilltowns. It is very easy to literally get stuck on these small medieval streets. The smaller the car the better and learn all the road signs first (such as one-way "senso unico) and the symbol for pedestrian only).<BR><BR>Buon viaggio.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Betsy

Karen, do a price comparison between your Avis quote and AutoEurope (www.autoeurope.com). AE is a broker that uses Avis and may be less expensive. Many Travel Talk posters have used AE without problems. I have used them for three trips to Europe think it's a good company in terms of price and service. <BR><BR>The Borgo Ognassanti location in Florence is convenient for picking up dropping off. Avis will provide you with a highlighted map and xxx's directions (above) are right on.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 11:53 AM
dean

hi<BR><BR>another vote for Borgo Ognisanti location. Its so easy to get to from the center of Florence and the rout out of town to the south past Certosa di Galuzzo is a piece of cake. There is one signal where you will get stuck (I think its at Porta Romana) and there is another intersection where 3 streets come together. But if you just shut your eyes and tromp on the gas then you will have no problem. Just remember to take all the insurance coverages and you can drive as aggressively as any Italian.<BR><BR>On the car front, i prefer an alfa 156 sized car or a lancia beta. Peppy and fun to drice with plenty of power. Dont go with an Opel vectra or a fiat punto as they are very much underpowered. You may want to check out my post on driving in italy

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 01:39 PM
sheepish

Karen,<BR> Despite Leslie's caution about large cars getting stuck in small towns--think about leaving the car OUTSIDE the walls, no matter what size you rent. It's just boorish to take you car any further and there is always plenty of room OUTSIDE to park.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Leslie

Re: parking ones car outside of hilltowns in Tuscany and Umbria... This is not so easy if one has neither the stamina nor physical ability to high uphill for as much as a mile...by 'uphill' I mean inclines of approx. 45 degrees.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 09:34 PM
Karen

I wonder why the Avis office didn't give me this location that all of you like?My husband has never really driven a standard and I thought a larger car would be safer and easier to drive. Not so? Are automatics an option? Was my 280 price for 5 days including all taxes and insurance a good price? Thanks for all the help as usual. Is it cheaper to buy a flexi train/car pass? I need four trips on the train also. Karen

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:18 AM
xxx

Actually, Karen, Avis DID offer the location everybody's referring to. It's the one you say is downton