Reload this Page >

Currency and Gas

Search

Currency and Gas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 03:31 PM
Monica

Currency and Gas

I'm hoping that someone who just came back from Italy could help. I'm wondering what the price of gas per gallon is now? <BR> <BR>Also, what were the exchange rates you were getting for your dollar. I got quoted by a US company $500 for 956,000 lira including 1% service charge. Is this a good rate? Should I wait to exchange money in Italy? All your help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 03:50 PM
wes fowler

Monica, <BR>Check the website www.oanda.com for current exchange rates. Anticipate gasoline to be somewhere between $3.75 and $4.25 a gallon. If you're concerned about budgeting for auto travel, recognize that many Italian autostrada are toll roads. <BR> <BR>Exchange your currency in Italy not here. I'd strongly suggest that you depend primarily on your credit cards for purchases and accommodations (bring more than one) and your bank's ATM card (4 digit numeric pin) for cash withdrawals to get the most favorable exchange rates. I would exchange only enough money in the US ($50.00 or so) to get me to the airport and hotel and depend on ATMs once there for daily expenses.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 03:56 PM
Richard

Monica,According to Rubicon's World Exchange Rate, today you should get 1,006,050 for your $500.00 USD. As has been said many times here, use ATMs and credit cards.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 06:35 AM
Paul

Monica - I usually budget that a liter of gas in Italy will cost about what a gallon costs here, about 4x times the price! Be sure to have 10,000 lire notes, as after hours, the automated gas pumps only take this denomination. <BR> <BR>Wes' advice is right on (as usual) - take your ATM and exchange money in Italy. You'll get the "spot rate" with the ATM. I've done exactly what Wes says the past two years ($50-$100 in lire to start, then use the ATM for cash and credit cards for purchases) and heartily agree and recommend this system.

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 08:08 AM
Ishoo

I prefer AmEx travelers checks. They are safer to travel with. You can cash them at the AmEx office(right by The Spanish Steps) with no commission charge and the current rxchange rate