Search

Currency

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Lucy

Currency

I am spending a few hours in Croatia, port stop, and wondering if I buy anything, can I use Euros?

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Britain

Croatia is not in the Euro zone

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Rex

topping... hoping that someone has some actual experience with this - - whether Croatia is in the euro zone is not really the question. <BR><BR>Seems like this question would get a lot more "acif Croatia were mentioned in the message header - - and even better, mention the port city or cities for which you want answers - - Dubrovnik? Vela Luka (on the island of Korcula)?<BR><BR>Here's a nice looking website, on the latter - - http://www.dalmatianet.com/_destination/vela-luka - - twelve classy-looking resort hotels there, so surely you will find credit cards well received, even if they spurn your goal of spending a euro or two! You can probably find quite a bit of info on Dubrovnik.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:40 AM
topper

topping<BR>

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Rex

Not sure what happened with my fingers on the keyboard with the post above...<BR><BR>should read...<BR><BR>&lt;&lt;a lot more "action" if Croatia were mentioned...&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:02 AM
up

up, for Lucy...<BR>

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:05 AM
nina

From my experience at shops, I would say no. But, you never know. Credit cards are widely used, so maybe that's your best choice if you don't want to exchange money. Should you do decide to exchange money. You will get the best rate at a bank. Avoid tourist agencies that do money exchange since they normally take a fee of 3%-5% of the total.<BR><BR>By the way, Croatia has its own currency called the Kuna. 1 Euro is rougly around 7 Kuna's.<BR> <BR>Nina

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Louisa

Hi, From my personal experience you can't use foreign currency in countries, unless, for instance, it's US dollars in Eastern Europe. Instead of Euros I suggest you use dollars as I've had this work best in Ukraine and Poland.<BR><BR>On a similar note, it is rude to assume they would accept foreign currency. I live in a Canadian city which is close to the American border so we get a lot of tourists. Most stores are willing to accept US dollars, which I think is very nice and considerate of the owners, but it puzzles me to no end when Americans complain when they get Canadian change. You're in our country, so why not use our currency? Seems simple to me.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Jon

Hi,<BR>I'm from Croatia and our currency is, as Nina said, Kuna. In Major tourist towns like Dubrovnik, most shops or restaurants will take Euro or US$ but you will get change in Kunas. Best thing to do is to get some cash from ATMs or to pay with your credtit card.<BR>Official exchange rate:<BR>http://www.hnb.hr/tecajn/evazeca.htm<BR><BR>Hope this helps.