Expenses in Croatia

Search

Expenses in Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expenses in Croatia

Hello - Sorry this is a tad long. I had written before about a trip to Croatia with my husband and 15 yo son in May. When my husband severely injured his knee, we initially thought it would be impossible to travel. Now we're having second thoughts. My husband just has to keep his knee immobilized - (just!) but who knows if we'll ever be healthier (we hope so, but...) and it is my son's last May with no school (he currently goes to a year-round school). Since our car just died, money will factor a lot into our decision. We plan to stay in sobes almost exclusively. Can you folks with recent experience tell me what you think a sobe in the first half of May would run on average in Croatia? I assume Dubrovnik and Hvar will be more expensive, but other than that? Thank you!!!
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM

Oh, your poor husband! I can relate - I severely injured my knee while on holidays in Rome (our first day, of course).

Anyway, the most we have ever paid for a sobe/apartment/B&B in Croatia is 50 euros in Dubrovnik (for a double). It may be more for more people, of course.

We manage to find gorgeous places with lovely scenery all over Croatia with lots of research - which is half the fun!
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Dear Travel2live2 -

So you book even sobes in advance? We were going to "wing it" - but I just hope availability is good from 9 May to 25.

I will do a search on your name and see what recommendations you've made in the past. I know I've seen your name come up quite a bit!

Thank you!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM

Carwahl- My husband & I will also be in Croatia from May 9th to 25th, but we are starting in Dubrovnik and ending in Pula. From your previous posting, it looks like you are traveling from North to South. I wonder if we will be in Trogir/Split the same time (May l7th-19th)?
We are staying in a mix or sobes and hotels. In Dubrovnik, we have reservations at Amoret II apartments (90 Euros), in Hvar - Hotel Villa Nora, in Trogir - we are looking at Palace Safileo (50 Euros, small hotel with good reviews on Trip Advisor) and in Rovinj- Apartment Porta Antica (85 euros). This is an idea of what we are spending, but I know that there are many sobes that are less expensive. There are so many websites and so many recommendations from people on this site. It's so much fun to read all the trip reports and check out the websites, that I'm not getting anything else done. Good luck.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 04:05 PM

It is addictive, isn't it? When I am trip planning other things get pushed aside.

You could likely wing it most places in Croatia but it depends what you want. We usually stay in rural places - those are hard to find. However, I have booked in advance (in May and September/October) so far for Dubrovnik just to be sure. It is extremely busy those times of the year (not as bad as July/August). Plus many places in Dubrovnik involve 100-200 steps so winging it there may become exasperating. Some places also require bookings of 3 or more nights - it is good to know that in advance.

By booking in advance I also get to see what the place looks like and where it is in relation to the activities we have planned.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. It has been difficult for me to plan an itinerary, but the need (and I agree it is needed) to book something ahead of time for Dubrovnik will give me the push to get it done. Welovetravel, yes, our plan had been to go North to South, but going the other way makes more sense, doesn't it? Travel2live2, I LOVE the planning part, too, but this accident has thrown a wrench in that, because for 3 weeks we had decided not even to go! Now I worry about having time to do a decent job of it. I'll check out some of the other posts. Thanks again.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM

Welovetravel,
Your choice of The Apartment Porta Antica in Rovinj appears to be a good one.I stayed at the Hotel Adriatic last year which is just a few buildings over.

Its a great location right on the main square overlooking the harbor.The only drawback was that it can get a little noisy if anything is going on in the square itself.While I was there last fall there was a food&wine festival going on all day, and evening with amplified live music.
I suppose that is the tradeoff for being in such a central location.

I posted a short video over at Tripadvisor that I shot fron my room on the third floor at the Hotel Adriatic. The Apartment Porta is to the right from the perspective of the video
You can see it here...

http://tinyurl.com/2ky6ld