Search

currency

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:22 AM
ann

currency

can I use Scottish notes when I am in Belfast, or is it better to take English notes?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 10:51 AM
Sheila

Either is legal

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:52 AM
Mikey

As Sheila says "either is legal" in theory but you might run into a problem in actually using them. I know I have. I have been turned away from several places in both NI and Scotland who did not want to take the others money. Once or twice I had to get a manager for who accepted them since it was a Sunday. I've gone to the bank and exchanged them.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:57 AM
Ann

90% of the places in Belfast will not accept Scottish notes. But it's relatively easy to exchange for either English notes or N.I. notes at the airport. Or stop into a bank. Either will do it for free.<BR><BR>Actually, the easiest thing to do is on your last day or two in Scotland, when you pay for something in cash, ask the cashier if they will give you change in English notes. Remember, coins are the same.<BR><BR>As Sheila said, all notes in the UK are supposed to be accepted as legal tender anywhere in the UK, and if you feel like a fight, you can force the issue, and even call the police into a shop (as one of my cousins once did--he's from N.I. and lives in London and gets tired of English shops not accepting N.I. notes) to make them accept your money. But if you're not in the mood for a fight, just exchange. <BR>All one country, right?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 01:13 PM
janis

Your biggest problem will be with the &pound;1 notes since there are no &pound;1 notes outside of Scotland. I never have problems close to the border but the farther south the more iffy it gets. So at the port or airport or in Belfast and cities you should be OK. In the country or small villages you may run into trouble. So just to avoind any hassle just trade them in at the airport or ferry terminal when you arrive.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:37 AM
KieranB

Someone I know was in Glasgow recently & used Nothern Irish &pound;5 & &pound;20 notes without any problems.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:57 AM
ann

thanks everyone