Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Curious - what did you love about Florence?

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we just returned from our 3 week trip and had 3 nights in Florence.

Before we left, many people seemed to gush about Florence and how wonderful it was.

I think it may have been our least favourite city. I mean, it was nice, but we were expecting something more.

I think if we had more time in the countryside, we may have enjoyed the area more, but the actual city of Florence didn't seem to have a lot to do. We were very disappointed with the Duomo. Traffic was the worst of any city (even worse than Rome). The Arno River was very green and dirty looking. We loved the Uffizi and the Accademia. And the food was incredible.

Just wondering what you love about Florence - and wondering if we missed something?

By the way - we stayed in London, Paris, Venice, Florence, Sorrento and Rome (in that order)
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:01 AM

the section i like the most is Oltrano, on the other side of the Arno River from the main town focal point - a warren of old lanes, pizza shops, caffes, old churches, etc. and much fewer crowds than in the main area. I believe it's called Otrano but not sure about exact spelling.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
It's a relatively small city and getting more and more like Rome.

If you're a museum person it's tough to beat.

Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned it's worth part of 2 days to wander around plus The David and the Uffizi (scheduled in somehow).
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:12 AM

harrowgirl - I have to confess that Florence is not my favorite city either. We adore Rome and Tuscany. We spent 3 days in Florence and very much enjoyed the museums and were pleased with our hotel (Relais Uffizi). That said, I've never been able to put my finger on what it was I didn't like about it. It's as silly as thinking I didn't "bond" with Florence! Is that possible?
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:24 AM

My hubby and I had the same reaction about Florence. We're not huge museum people so that could've had something to do with it. I would like to go back to the Tuscany region though and spend more time in the countryside. We spent a wonderful day in Siena.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:32 AM

I have to agree with you. While we loved Rome and other parts of Italy, we weren't really too impressed with Florence. Sure, its a beautiful city, but there wasn't as much to do (we're not really "art" people, so we didn't do the Uffizi) and the traffic was horrendous. We liked it, but we too were expecting more as people always seem to gush about it. Too each their own, I guess. I'd take Rome any day!

Tracy
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:53 AM

I love Florence.I guess we are just looking for different things, for example:
>>We were very disappointed with the Duomo.<<
I adore the Duomo. The brick-work of the actual dome, The winding climb up it, the Vasari (highly underrated in my opinion) frescoes, the sheer scale of the building, the baptistery in front, the Ghiberti doors, Brunelleschi's doors in the museum - whats not to like?

>>We loved the Uffizi<<
Actually, I wasn't that impressed except for the Botticellis. I really liked Palazzo Vecchio though.

We can both agree on the wonderful Accademia and the dirty Arno.

I loved the Duomo square at night, piazza signoria any time of the day, piazzale Michelangelo for the sunset, the boboli gardens to cool off in the afternoon heat. I loved Mercato Vecchio for its buzz and the narrow back streets for their no-nonsense feel. I loved the student vibe and the street artists everywhere.

Is the traffic chaotic, yes. But, I accidentally went down the wrong way into a one-way street and there was no uproar, 'cause people know how to deal with chaos. I stalled a couple of times on the roads since I was driving a stick shift after a very long time, but no one honked or ran into me, both of which ould have happened in my hometown - Chicago.

Florence, if anything, over-whelmed me with the sheer amount of beauty and history.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:56 AM

It's one of those horses-for-courses things. I prefer Rome. And this is coming from someone who loves Renaissance art! I could live in the Uffizi. And the Brancacci chapel. But I'd probably be arrested.

Still, Rome is my fave. Florence is lovely. Rome is enthralling.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Hello harrowgirl, I am another one that does not have Florence as an Italian city on the top of my list. I do enjoy going there to see friends and I stay in a lovely residential area which is no nice after all people in the historical center.

I love Rome!! Wished I lived there.
In fact I love Milan. And always enjoy Venice although it is nice to get away from the Piazza San Marco as it too has so many people unless you are there early in the morning of later in the evening.

I always thought I was the only one in the world that was not overenthused about Florence until I started coming onto Fodor's and discovered that others sometimes feel the same way also. Having said that I do think everyone should try to visit Florence when they go to Italy, at least once anyway. There are so many beautiful sights to see.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Everything it loved!!! But I am a self confessed renaissance history/art lover. On the ohter hand, I did not bind with Rome.

It is very curious how these things work, you expect to love something and then you dont. The opposite is also true but a lot more exciting. I expected to love Siena and it did not do anything for me but I had no expectations of Assisi and I loved it.

The wonder of travel...you can read as much as you want and never will find out if there is true chemestry until you are there
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:53 PM

Just to walk the streets where the renaissance occurred leads me to grin with pleasure. I love to pretend that I'm living there during that exciting time. In fact, just thinking about Florence makes me smile.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:21 AM

I on the other hand didn't bond with Rome. Tried it twice. I love the sights but it just doesnt' resonate with me like Florence and Venice. Rome is not one of the cities I 'Miss" and yearn to go back.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 08:50 AM

I've had the misfortune to visit Florence several times. What I like best are the roads and railway lines out of the city.

But we all enter on our travels with a differing set of likes, dislikes, and expectations. Someone else might love Florence, and that's great for them.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:06 AM

I agree. I have been to Florence twice and don't adore it.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:25 AM
ira

Hi H,

>We loved the Uffizi and the Accademia. And the food was incredible.<

What else do you need?

The architecture is rather nice.
A moonlight stroll along the Arno is nice.
Great views from the Boboli Gardens and the Piazzale Michelangelo.
The Piazza Signoria has some interesting points.
The Mercato Centrale is worth a look.
A walk down the Via del Calzaiuoli is not without interest.
St. Croce and Santa Maria Novella are not unattactive.
The Bargello has some interesting works, as does the Palazzo Pitti.
An evening visit to Fiesole has a certain beauty.

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:26 AM

We just returned from 17 days in Italy, mostly Sicily, and spent the last 5 days in Florence. I adore Florence; after Paris,it is the European city I love best. My favorite place is the Piazza della Signoria with its marvelous Palazzo Vecchio. I love the Pitti and the Boboli Gardens with a wonder view of the Tuscan countryside. The Brancacci Chapel has the clearest and best preserved frescos I've seen, the Botticellis and the Carravagios in the Uffizi are worth a visit, the Duomo is a work of genius. Have you visited the Bargello, the Museo del Opera del Duomo, with its wonderful statue of Mary Magdelene by Donatello and its Michelangeo pieta? The Medici Chapel is great. Santa Croce is a wonderful place to visit. Florence has the best food and the best gelato in Italy. The view from the Piazzele Michelangelo is spectacular. I have to agree that the Arno is not the loveliest river but have you stood on one of the bridges at night and seen the reflections from the lights of Florence - lovely. And, if for no other reason, Michelangelo's David makes Florence a sublime destination.
Different people like different things and different places. I have seen some of the most fabulous works of man in Rome but don't especially like the city. Florence, on the other hand, touches my soul and I could return again and again.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:41 AM

I'm another Florence lover. I've studied Italian Renaissance history extensively. I always love the idea that I was walking in teh same place as all those amazing artists and historical figures. I loved walking down the street and being able to say "Oh that's where so-and-so lived. They did..." It really came alive for me. I think my travel companion got a bit sick of the sex, lies, and politics after a few days, but I was in heaven.

Rome on the other hand was interesting, but I just didn't click with it. I guess I"ll just have to study it some more, then give it another try.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 06:52 AM

It is really interesting to note the different responses to Rome and Florence. I too am in the camp who was disappointed in the city. The art is indisputably amazing, and I am thrilled to have seen it, but was it Patrick who posted some time ago that he had the impression it was a city that merely facillitated the works of art?

I absoloutely adored Rome - have only been there once this year, but I cant wait to go back. I loved the "buzz"!!
I think it must be something to do with expectations. I didnt expect to enjoy Rome but I have always longed to visit Florence. I spent 10 days there and just didnt connect!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Florence is nice, but not overly impressive. Rome is much more to my liking.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Florence is my favorite city and I rent an apartment with five terraces two blocks from the Duomo every chance I get . .

Look, everyone has different tastes. We all don't have to like the same thing!

To me, the food, shopping, shops, museums and just walking down each historical street is a memorable experience and a lesson in histroy!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -