Search

Cruise tours

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:14 AM
candace

Cruise tours

My husband and I are taking a cruise to the Mediterranean the second half of Oct. and want to find alternate transportation into the destination cities (Rome(from Citeveccia), Florence(from Livorno),Taormina(from Messina),Nice(from Villefranche) instead of using the cruise tour transportation. We're planning on touring all these cities on our own anyway and wanted to be able to choose how long we stayed there. Has anyone taken a cruise to these ports and arranged transportation on their own? We'd appreciate the input. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Candace

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Kris

Civitavecchia-train that runs to San Pietro (St. Peter's) and Termini station, takes about an hour, costs about $8 RT. Go to www.fs-on-line.com for schedules. It may depend on where the ship docks, but it took us about 15 minutes to walk to the station. Be sure to stamp your ticket before you get on the train. <BR> <BR>Villefranche-train runs along the coast, stops at Monte Carlo and Nice. The stop for Eze is Eze sur la mer but it's a long vertical walk to get to the old city. You might be able to catch a taxi or bus from the train station. The train ride was very short to Nice, maybe 15 minutes? If you're docking on a Sunday, you might think about heading to Monte Carlo instead as a lot of Nice shuts down on Sunday. The train was about 10 minute walk from the port, can't remember the cost but it wasn't much. Try www.sncf.com for schedules. <BR> <BR> <BR>We caught the ship transportation to Taormina as the time in port was kind of short and we didn't want to risk missing the ship. <BR> <BR>You might try www.cruisecritic.com for help on Livorno or other suggestions on the other ports. <BR> <BR>We didn't see any ATMS in either Civiavecchia or Villefranche at least not ones close to the docks. So you may want to have a small amount of currency to use the trains if you opt to do that.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:54 AM
Steve James

Hello Candace, <BR> <BR>There are trains from Livorno Centrale to Florence at:- <BR>06.30 <BR>07.11 <BR>07.30 <BR>08.02 <BR>08.56 <BR>10.12 (Change at Pisa) <BR>11.00 <BR>The journey time is about 85 mins. <BR> <BR>You may need to get a bus or taxi from the port to the station at it's across town. <BR> <BR>Return trains leave Florence at:- <BR>15.35 <BR>16.35 <BR>17.35 <BR> <BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ... <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Candace

Steve & Kris, <BR> <BR>Thanks so much. That was really helpful! <BR> <BR>Candace

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Marianna

Hi Candace, <BR>I live and work in Rome and thought I would help you out. <BR>There are quite a few companies here in Rome that provide a port pick-up service from Cittavecchia into Rome and for return. <BR> <BR>You will find that you will then have plenty of time to experience this wonderful city. <BR> <BR>If you would like any details on these companies please feel free to email me direct. <BR> <BR>Safe travels <BR>Marianna