DIESEL CAR & MOUNTAINS

Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:47 PM
Janet

DIESEL CAR & MOUNTAINS

We have requested a diesel car for pick up in Nice, Fr with AC and Automatic. There will be 3 adults traveling. Years ago we had a diesel Oldsmobile and it could barely make it up the roads we encountered in Vermont. Is a diesel OK in the perched villages near Vence, Eze or should we forget the gas savings and go for regular car?

Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:52 PM
Ed

That Olds diesel was a candidate for Worst Car of the Century. Has little to do with today's diesels. I think they detuned that one so it wouldn't blow the flimsy engine block apart!

twenj

Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:54 PM
Maribel

Janet,
We rented a diesel Ford Focus (manual) for our trip through very, very mountainous Northern Spain in July with much of our time spent in the Pyrennes, and it handled our very adventurous mountain driving beautifully and with plenty of pep. Compared to the perched village area above the Riviera (which I'm familiar with), ours was much more challenging mountain driving than you will have from Nice to Eze and Vence. And we spent next to nothing for 2 weeks in fuel!
Hope this helps.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 05:17 PM
Diane

We drove a diesel Opel stationwagon through the Dolomites in May and it did wonderfully. Except that I made my husband stop and pull off so often because the views were just astounding! Multiple switchback hairpin curves, it was a challenging drive, but not a problem!

Sep 3rd, 2001, 05:43 PM
Art

I agree with Ed's assessment of the early American diesel cars. They were converted gasoline engines. Diesel engines have much higher compression than do gas engines. I have a 1981 Mercedes Diesel with 250,000 miles on it and it handles hills/mountains very well. It will slow on a very long gradual grade but has tremendous lugging capabilities. I pulled a tent trailer though Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, through Wyoming and Idaho with no problems.
Regards,
Art

Sep 4th, 2001, 04:09 AM
Janet

Thanks Everyone! Your responses have made me feel more comfortable with my decision to rent the diesel. Now let's just hope we remember that gazole is what goes in the tank. Janet

Sep 4th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Sherry

Hi Janet. I drove a diesel automatic exactly where you are going when I was there in May. No problem, it was wonderful. The gas is available everywhere and it was cheaper then the others. We even drove to Pellion. a spectacular perched village.

Sep 5th, 2001, 05:49 PM
Randall Smith

Hi Janet,

My wife and I have a little CitroŽn Saxo diesel that we keep in Paris. We drove it all over France this summer. It is a little four cylinder diesel large enough for us but it did have to work a little in the mountains. It made it all right and we probably only had to purchase 3 or 4 tanks of has. The bigger turbo diesels that we've rented in the past definitely have more power. Our car is a low milage 2000 so it'snot an old clunker but it also is somewhat underpowered by American standards. All in all it's probably not a big deal. Just make sure that you are happy with the size and luggage space, and if you need more power, opt for a turbo.

Ciao,

Randy Smith

Sep 7th, 2001, 07:22 AM
MW

just got back from nice - drove around - eze and vence are sooooooo NOT in the mountains - hills, yes - you should have no problem - although you may want to rethink your trip altogether - NICE is not so nice, unless you like loud, dirty cities on the sea - am still trying to figure out why everyone raves about the french riviera - although, i will say i had a good dinner at le safari on the cours seleya in the old city