Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Crossing the channel from Paris to London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello:

I've just compared prices and flying to London is much cheaper than Eurostar. However, if I wanted to take the long, scenic way and cross the Channel on a boat from France, how would I do that? Do any of them go to Brighton?
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:57 AM

There are still many ferry/hovercraft crossings, Calais to Dover being the shortest. These routes or the Chunnel make total sense if you have a car. Otherwise, you need to get to a port in France by train, bus or other means. BTW, I don't believe Brighton has docks. There are some lovely routes from Normandy and Brittany over to Portsmouth, etc. Brittany Ferries is one line. When you compare costs, be sure to factor in land transport on both ends. To me, Eurostar is great from cost, time, hassle and point-to-point considerations--IF any of those factors are important and if your destination is central London.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:30 AM

There are no longer hovercrafts running U.K.- France, but you have a choice of several routes, and conventional ferry or high-speed catamaran. As has been said, these are best for those travelling with a car, or foot passengers just crossing the channel, not travelling from Paris to London.

Air may be best if you are starting from an airport, or not travelling between city centres, but Eurostar has by far the highest percentage of the London-Paris market because it is quickest, most comfortable, and requires least check-in times.

The cheapest is by Eurolines bus.

What you nave to check is the total journey time, including waiting for connections, checking-in, etc and compare with the total cost between the start and end of your journey.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 06:56 AM

If you book enough ahead the Eurostar can be quite ressonable.Book at least 90 days out, book a return ticket even of r a one way trip. Try and travel on a slow day tues- thurs. ( rates lower) and during slower times of day( usaully mid morning to mid afternoon, but play on the website) .
You can get tickets that are as cheap as flying and are city center to city center( under 100 dollars) so no farting around with transport ot airports etc.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes - flying <i>can</i> be cheaper than the Eurostar. But by the time you factor in the cost of getting to CDG and then in from LHR to London, plus the inconvenience of advance check in/security/luggage retrieval, it often comes out about equal cost. The train is definitely faster.

You can take a ferry - but then you have to factor in trains at both ends of the journey.

All-in-all, Eurostar is usually the best option -- especially if one books far enough ahead to get the best fares.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Having said all that, riding the rails to and from the coast and crossing the water is a gas. We made several crossings by Hovercraft, but those have been retired and supplanted with the fast cats. You can embark at Boulogne, Calais, Cherbourg and land at Dover or Folkstone, or even west of the Cotentin Peninsula at St. Malo and make a side trip to the Channel Islands. http://www.condorferries.co.uk will get you from there to Weymouth, Poole, or Portsmouth.

But the overland/sea route is a lot of the retro experience, and great fun if you're in no particular hurry.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 09:09 AM

Did this transit last Tuesday via Eurostar and would not go any other way. As mentioned, when comparing cost do not forget the time, expense and luggage wrangling involved in getting to and from the airports. be sure, too, that the airfare you are using for comparison includes taxes and fees such as any checked bag fees.
One caution - check in at Gare du Nord may take a wile as you must clear passport control and security just like an international flight. We arrived 45 minus prior to departure to find that both elevators were out of service and the resulting strain on the escalator caused it to stop working, and we just barely made the train. Best if you drop by GdN ahead of time to pick up your tickets - takes just a few minutes and makes for one less stressor on departure day.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 01:49 PM

The nearest port to Brighton is Newhaven, about half an hour away by train.
Transmanche Ferries run from Dieppe to Newhaven (www.transmancheferries.com).
You can get a train from Paris to Dieppe. At Dieppe, you need to take a taxi to the ferry terminal; at Newhaven, the Harbour station is close to the ferry.