Crossair

Mar 17th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Ann

Crossair

Does anyone know why their rates are so much less than others on Orbitz? I am looking for New York to Athens in Aug., and their rates are about $200 less.

Mar 17th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Rex

This is pure speculation on my part but I think it's a combination of the following factors:

a) trying to increase name recognition since they are very little known outside Europe - - and they will be (at least in part) - - a part of the backbone of the new airline "Swiss".

b) travelers from withINEurope are possibly leary of any airline connected with Switzerland because of the Sabena /Swissair implosion (Swissair was a major shareholder of Sabena which has totally vanished - - died financially; Swissair itself is emerging from something like bankruptcy protection in the form of the new airline, which is part new, part old Swissair and part Crossair).

c) trying to keep morale as high as possible among the workforce that they DO have - - as it will roll forward into the new airline - - keep those planes as full as possible - - more important than profits right now.

All logical theory - - but PUREly theory. I have no facts to back up any strategy of Crossair. The facts about Sabena, Swissair and the new airline Swiss are readily available in public sources.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 27th, 2002, 07:53 AM
ttt

News on SWISS just today, right?

Mar 27th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Simon

Having used Crossair various times in the past, I can only vouch for their punctuality, customer care and cordiality. Don't be weary of using them ... they are great !

Mar 27th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Julie

I think I would have to agree with Rex. In fact, I've already booked with them for a September trip to Milan (Lake Como) and am seriously considering them for my trip to Venice in November. I too had heard that they were reliable, punctual and very service oriented - not to mention the fares are so darn good!

Mar 27th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Ursula

Well, folks, Crossair will be "tempi passati" (=gone) in just a few days. They took over Swissair and the new Swiss air carrier will be called "swiss" and will operate as from April 1, 2002.
They are currently discussing a code share with AA.

Mar 27th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Don

Glad to hear Cross Air is punctual. Am flying from Zurich to Barcelona this summer and only have 45 minutes to change planes. Was a little worried about the connection time.

Don

Mar 27th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Carl

to Ursula and others: Do you think the Crossair rates will zoom after 1 April? If so, is now the time to buy for Fall? I agree that their fares are so much lower. Carl.

Mar 27th, 2002, 03:27 PM
x

So if swiss air is "gone," will they still honor tickets bought before the merger? They will be honored by swissair then?

Mar 27th, 2002, 03:37 PM
x

I meant of cross air is gone...

Mar 27th, 2002, 03:38 PM
x

Ok I am bad tonight... IF crossair is gone...

Mar 27th, 2002, 11:12 PM
Phil

x:

Yes, SWISS will honour tickets issued by Swissair and Crossair before the "merger" (which actually was some kind of expanding Crossair with some remains of Swissar after Swissair's holding company had gone belly up).

As to an earlier strike threat by Crossair's pilots: They will not strike, and talks regarding their contracts will not interfere with Swiss's start on March 31st.

Enjoy your trip

Phil.

Mar 28th, 2002, 02:45 AM
Rex

Fascinating snippet of news I heard on NPR yesterday (I hope I didn't hear it out of context or something).

Qualiflyer program was the basic reason that Swissair/Sabena went bust. Did all Qualiflyers lose everything (frequent flyer miles) they had in the "bank"?

Ouch, if so.

Mar 28th, 2002, 08:25 AM
ttt

Any mews about their prises after April 1st ?

Mar 28th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Simon

No, qualiflyer program is completely independent of Swissair. No member lost one single point. Because Qualiflyer did not go bankrupt. Swissair had a very very generous program for qualiflyers. But I lost everything as after that dreaded day, Swissair (or Swiss) stopped all flights from Malta.