Croatia - Late Aug or Mid to late Sept?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2008, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. It looks like we'll get to schedule our long awaited trip to Croatia. It will be about a 10 day trip.

Choice 1 would be approximately August 15 - 26.

Choice 2 would be approximately September 12 - 23.

I've looked at the weather for those dates on weather underground trip planner, so I've seen the data. If it were you, which would you choose, and why?

What are the relevant factors? Ferry schedules, price of lodging, and of course weather. Anything else?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks,
H

Old Nov 21st, 2008, 10:05 AM

My choice would be September. No question. It can get very hot and crowded in August.

Some ferries can run less frequently in September - that is the only drawback I can think of. Oh, and a few islands have fewer restaurants open but that is more later in the month or October (mainly lesser-known islands). If that affects your trip by all means go in August.

September brings with it lots of yummy seasonal foods, cheaper accommodation and lovely warm weather. In spots such as Rovinj and Dubrovnik, while still crowded and busy in September, crowds are more manageable than August. You can still easily swim in the sea in September. I've been there in October when it has been downright hot!

In summer many places have minimum night stays. Costs can decrease dramatically later in the year. I've seen decreases up to 50% later on. But DH and I always stay in sobes (private accommodation for the experience) so I cannot comment on hotels or resorts.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 10:34 AM

I agree--later is better for less people and better temps.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

I had a feeling that would be the response. Unfortunately, it's tougher for Mr. Fan to get away in September.

But, since this is our 25th Anniversary trip, I think he'll just have to make the effort.

Thanks for your replies!
H
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 07:22 PM

We went to Croatia last September (07) and had two days with rain--one in Zagreb and one morning on the Istrian Penn. Otherwise, we had very nice weather. They say the crowds are less in Dubrovnik in Sept. --when the cruise ships arrive, it is wall to wall tourists, but in the evening, they are all gone. I'd vote for Sept. if we were going again. Ciao. mhm
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 11:03 PM

If you have the choice, there is no question that September is better than August. The weather is milder, and the hordes have mostly gone home.

Check out my web pages on two of our trips to Croatia:

http://www.travel.stv77.com/croatia/slovenia.htm (2006)

http://www.travel.stv77.com/croatia/croatia.htm (2003)
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM

There is no question, you must come here in September. August is the hottest and busiest month of the year. We are filled with European guests in August and there are days when one can take up to 20 mintues to get into town via the Pile Gate entrance.
Also one must consider the mega cruisers next year. On Saturday and Sunday there can be up to 12 ships in Port, adding another 20,000 guests wandering around Stari Grad.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 08:14 AM

Forgot to mention September is still considered high season here. Ferry schedules will not change until 01 October and later. Restaurants and shops do not shut down until 01 November when our weather changes dramatically.
You mention it's tougher for Mr. Fan to get away during September, please make the effort to do so. Your trip will be so much more enjoyable in September.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Mercy, that's encouraging about the weather.

Steve, those are some very nice web pages. Great photos.

Well, he agreed this morning! So I am sure I will have additional questions as my planning progresses.

Thanks again!
H
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
pat

Go in Sept. We went to Slovenia, where it rained and rained, then dropped down into Croatia, where the weather was warm and sunny and pleasant.
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 07:38 AM

Amen to the September timeframe! We had perfect weather, see our ongoing Croatia trip report in the Croatia forum. Have a wonderful trip, what a simply beautiful country.