Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Better to visit Croatia in August, September, and Croatia

Mar 2nd, 2016, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Am trying to add a visit to Croatia to another trip. Times we could go to Croatia are early or late August, first or third week in September, or last week in October. Am particularly interested in visiting Plitvice Lakes and Krk (so?) national parks. Which of the times I mentioned would be best for weather and avoiding crowds?h
Mar 2nd, 2016, 03:21 PM

August is high season in Croatia. I have never been there in August, but I understand it is very, very crowded on the coast and at the tourist sites (presumably like Plitvice).

September is shoulder season - less crowded, like many places in Europe.

My first visit to Croatia was in the first week of October. I think a week earlier would have been perfect. The weather was still great when I first arrived, but there were fewer options for excursions, and some places definitely felt more empty (e.g. Korcula). By the last few days it had turned cold and rainy. Of course, the weather varies year by year, impossible to predict. But I would personally not want to visit the coast in late October.

I'd chose late September. I think you'll still see some crowds at Plitvice. Best strategy is to get into the park first thing when they open (7am, maybe later off season) before the tour groups arrive. By mid-day you may find more people on the boardwalks and on the trails. I'll bet in August it is miserable with people at mid-day. There are a couple of overpriced-but-convenient park hotels that allow you to walk right into the park - I stayed at one of them on my first visit to Plitvice.

Krka National Park (not to be confused with the island called Krk) would be crowded in August with swimmers, from the pictures I've seen. (You can swim there but not at Plitvice.) The water may still be warm enough for swimmers by late September but probably not by October. (When I visited in May, only a few brave souls ventured to swim at Skradinski Buk, the big waterfall you will want to see.)

Of course, if your only interest is the two parks and don't care about the Dalmatian Coast attractions, October should be less crowded, and if it's not rainy you might luck into beautiful fall weather in either of the parks.
Mar 2nd, 2016, 04:40 PM

I was there the first week of September and visited Rovinj, Pula, and Plitvice. There were some crowds, especially at Plitvice but it was still manageable (arrived before 8am).

Had wonderful and perfect weather, but as Andrew says weather cannot be predicted.
Mar 2nd, 2016, 05:00 PM

I was there at the end of September in 2014. The weather was PERFECT. But, the third week of September is still borderline high season so there will be some crowds.
Mar 2nd, 2016, 06:31 PM
kja

Of the choices you mention, I'd aim for September and later rather than earlier. JMO!
Mar 2nd, 2016, 06:43 PM

We were there at the end of September and it rained just one day - our day at Plitvice Lakes, wouldn't you know? We still had a great time. We bought cheap umbrellas at the gift shop, threw on our raincoats and had a wonderful day traipsing around the park.
Mar 2nd, 2016, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the responses. Much appreciated. How is it in late October?
Mar 3rd, 2016, 06:06 AM

I live in Croatia and advise to visit in last week of September, just after Italian crowds have left. Weather is still good, less traffic, better choice for accommodation, etc
Mar 3rd, 2016, 06:39 AM

September would be best.
Not late Oct....Croatia is not Spain.
Mar 4th, 2016, 09:38 AM

I agree with September. We spent three weeks there in 2015 and it did not rain until the day of our departure. There were still crowds at Plitvice and if you want to avoid them go early and stay off the main walkways.

We swam in both Brac (Bol) and Dubrovnik-I did not find the sea to be especially warm, though it was very clear and beautiful.
Jun 9th, 2016, 01:12 AM

Hallo!

Late August/September should be better, as there will be less tourists around.

If you love to visit National parks, I would totally recommend Plitvice and Krk. You could also stop at Una National Park in Bosnia. It is one hour drive from Plitvice. It is much less crowded! Štrbački buk waterfalls are wonderful and the Martin Brod village is such picturesque!
Jun 9th, 2016, 02:05 AM

Of your choices, I agree with those who suggest late September, but that is the best time of year everywhere in the northern hemisphere!

It can be steamy, and it can be cool, especially at altitude, but I wouldn't want to visit at a time when I couldn't sit at an outdoor cafe because they are great in Croatia.
Jun 9th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

We decided to be in Croatia Sept. 20-28 and Slovenia Sept. 29 - Oct. 1.
Jun 9th, 2016, 03:30 PM

Sounds like a good choice!