Croatia itinerary support

Old Jul 25th, 2021, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia itinerary support

Hi,

My family (3 young girls of 8, 5 and 2) and I will be travelling to Croatia in September/ October. I have drafted an itinerary but I miscalculated myself. Therefor we need to drop a destination and I could use some advice for this.
We like to travel slow and like a mix of nature, culture and leasure. We can fly in and out from both Split and Dubrovnik. The itinerary now is:
- Sibenik and Krka NP: 4 nights
- Krk Island: 3 nights
- Istria: 5 nights
- Plitvice NP: 3 nights
- Split: 4 nights
- Dubrovnik: 4 nights
this makes 23 nights but I only have 21. Any suggestions what to drop? And is there a specific amazing site that I miss on this list? Thanks!

Best regards
Mark
Old Jul 25th, 2021, 07:23 PM

It depends on what you plan to do in each of these places. I personally would reduce the number of days in Sibenik but that depends on what you plan to see/do while there. And if hiking is not high on your agenda, then perhaps two nights in Plitvice NP would be sufficient.

As Croatia is a very long country, I suggest you fly into Zagreb and home from Dubrovnik (or vice versa). To fly in/out Dubrovnik/Split would involve a lot of backtracking.

I don't know where you live but if the children are not all vaccinated you should take special care.
Old Jul 26th, 2021, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I did some extra research and it seems that there are flights to Pula as well so I could limit backtracking.
makes sense indeed to limit Sibenik. I am also thinking about skipping Krk as we could do some islands at Split and Dubrovnik. Maybe I should include Zadar?
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 02:12 AM

There are many, many options but how about (trying to minimise travel times):

Istria (fly into Pula) - 5nights
Krk or Rab - 2nights
Plitvice NP - 2nights
Sibenik (incl. Krka NP) - 2nights (stop enroute for the afternoon in Zadar)
Split (incl. Trogir) - 4nights - ditch the car if you have one
Korcula - 3nights
Dubrovnik (incl. local islands) - 3nights

Stopping in Krk or Rab breaks the journey but if you decide against this, then you could perhaps add those two nights to your other destinations.
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your ideas. Can you tell me why you suggest to ditch the car in Split? I had the idea driving all the way to Dubrovnik.

dont know Korcula yet but will deepdive into that. Thanks!
Old Jul 28th, 2021, 11:26 PM

Of course you could keep the car if you wished and it may be useful for stopping along the way. You don't need a car in Split (unless you're maybe heading along the coast and even then there are other options), Korcula or Dubrovnik. In fact you could do the whole holiday by local transport if you wished, although some journeys may take longer. The journey between Split and Dubrovnik is very scenic so everyone can enjoy that if you take the bus. If you journey via Korcula, then the ferry may be fun. My kids loathed being trapped in a car so any alternative was welcomed by them.
Old Jul 29th, 2021, 09:33 AM

Going off your original itinerary, I think 3 nights for Plitvice is one too many. I loved it and had one night. I arrived from Split in the late morning and then spent a good 6 hours hiking the park. I felt like I saw the bulk of what I wanted to see and then had that evening to rest before heading onto Zagreb the next morning,.

Speaking of Zagreb, I donít see it in your itinerary. While I enjoyed everything I visited along the Croatian coast, itís all very Italiante and after a while, I could see it all looking the same to you. Zagreb is much more Austro-Hungarian influenced and I found it a great contrast to southern Croatia.

4 nights for Dubrovnik itself also feels like one too many to me. You could do a day trip to Bay of Kotor in Montenegro which many people seem to like. Or you could give perhaps 2 nights of the 4 to Korcula island for wine touring and relaxing before giving your final two nights to Dubrovnik.

My two cents.
Old Sep 3rd, 2021, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

I updated my travel plans and would like to check if this makes sense to you:
- Pula (2 nights including flying in)
- Porec area (4 nights, visiting Porec, Rovinj, hill towns, beach)
- Plitvice (2 nights)
- Sibenik (4 nights, visiting Zadar, Sibenik, Krka NP
- Split (4 nights, visiting Split, Trogir and Brac/Hvar on a day trip
- Dubrovik (4 nights, one day allocated for testing in order to get back to Holland)

Does this itinerary makes sense with three young kids? Balanced enough between culture, nature and leisure?

i have one day left. Should I add this to one of the destinations above? Or does it make sense to add staying in an island (Korcula or Hvar)? Anything else I am really missing in this itinerary?

Old Sep 6th, 2021, 07:08 PM

Your revised itinerary looks great. Good allocation of time.

I would make only one more change: Drop one night in Porec and add a day in Zagreb. It has a lot of history and it is the capitol. Rovinj was a letdown for me.

Do not miss Plitvice NP. Two nights with a full day to walk in the park is perfect. But plan for the two year old. Walking is on rough boardwalks a lot of the time. We saw people with strollers but you have to muscle them in some places. You can enter the park at the upper end and walk downwards (sort of) but then at the lower exit/entrance you have a real climb out. Think about it.

And if the tourist crush in Dubrovnik gets to be too much, day trip to the bay of Kotor. It's beautiful and there's a walled fort there too. (Check into entering Montenegro.)
Old Sep 7th, 2021, 02:58 PM

I think this looks better but I still don’t understand why you’re not including any time in the capital of Zagreb.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

I am considering Zagreb but I am not sure if it is worth the detour between Rovinj and Plitvice as we only have two nights leftto allocate. Wouldnt it make make more sense to allocate these days to Rijeka or Opatija to break the route between Rovinj and Plitvice? Or are two nights in Zagreb (including travel from Rovinj) worth the detour?
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by markstol4727 View Post
I am considering Zagreb but I am not sure if it is worth the detour between Rovinj and Plitvice as we only have two nights leftto allocate. Wouldnt it make make more sense to allocate these days to Rijeka or Opatija to break the route between Rovinj and Plitvice? Or are two nights in Zagreb (including travel from Rovinj) worth the detour?
I canít speak to those other towns as I did not visit them but many of your days seem to be in relatively minor towns, at least relative to what the travel books and others here have put into their itineraries. Where are you flying into and out of?
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MinnBeef View Post
I canít speak to those other towns as I did not visit them but many of your days seem to be in relatively minor towns, at least relative to what the travel books and others here have put into their itineraries. Where are you flying into and out of?
we are flying into Pula and at the end flying out of Dubrovnik. I agree that including Zagreb makes sense. As we are traveling in October we could expect other places to close down a bit. That is also why I decided to exclude Hvar and Korcula
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 03:12 AM

There will ALWAYS be more places to see than time allows. I would not include Zagreb, not because it's not nice but just because you risk spreading yourselves too thin. You already have a very full schedule and it's best to enjoy the places you've selected and not worry too much about the places you won't get to. Sometimes you just have to choose.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 09:25 AM

Can't argue with that. But a couple of things:

Zagreb is practically on the way from Istria to Plitvice NP and the roads are very good.
We spent a couple of hours in Opatija walking the waterfront and eating lunch. It was very belle epoch architecture and lots of fun. But unless you plan to take boat trips, that's about all there seemed to be.
We bypassed Rijeka because it looked to be kind of industrial.
As I said earlier, Rovinj was a letdown for me. And I agree that some of your village visits look to be redundant.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips and advice! I have finalised my trip by including 2 days in Krk, reducing the days in Sibenik/ Krka to 3 and leaving Zagreb for another trip. Looking forward to the trip in a week!
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 11:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Have a great time!
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 01:52 PM

As others have said, there will always be more places than time when you plan your trip. We stayed in Zadar for 2 nights, Split for 1 night, and Dubrovnik for 2 nights, in early to mid September. I think that was enough for us. We visited Krka NP along the way, but not Plitvice NP. Expect to do a LOT of walking at Krka and Dubrovnik, and it seemed that the steps were always uphill, LOL. I would have liked to visit some of the islands, but we didn't have the time.