CROATIA ITINERARY HELP

Search

CROATIA ITINERARY HELP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CROATIA ITINERARY HELP

Hello. We are tweaking our itinerary to Venice/Croatia in late May/June 2007. We are a married couple in our late twenties. We are in good shape and we are experienced travelers. Unfortunately, our knowledge about Croatia is limited so we need your help. Below we listed our rough itinerary as well as questions. Please review and let us know your thoughts. THANKS.

Day 1 Saturday
--Flight-leave U.S. in the evening
Day 2 Sunday
--Flight—arrive Venice 5:00 PM
--Sleep=Venice
Day 3 Monday
--Tour Venice
--Sleep=Venice
Day 4 Tuesday
--Tour Venice
--Sleep=Venice
Day 5 Wednesday
--Travel to Pula (either bus or ferry-depends on the schedule that day)
--Pick up rental car in Pula and drive to Rovinj
--Sleep=Rovinj
Day 6 Thursday
--Explore Istria—Possible day trips to Porec, Motovun, Opatija, Piran
--Sleep=Rovinj
Day 7 Friday
--Explore Istria—Possible day trips to Porec, Motovun, Opatija, Piran
--Sleep=Rovinj
Day 8 Saturday
--Drive Rovinj to Zagreb (~3.5 hours)
--Explore Zagreb
--Sleep=Zagreb
Day 9 Sunday
--Drive Zagreb to Plitvice Lakes National Park (~2 hours) (leave early A.M.)
--Hike the lakes (the “H” hike)
--Sleep=near Plitvice
Day 10 Monday
--Drive Plitvice to Trogir (~3.5 hours)
--Drop off car at Split airport and bus to Trogir
--Explore Trogir
--Sleep=Trogir
Day 11 Tuesday
--Explore Trogir
--Sleep = Trogir
Day 12 Wednesday
--Bus Trogir to Split
--Visit Emperor Diocletian’s Palace and open air markets
--Ferry Split to Hvar Town
--Explore Hvar Town
--Sleep = Hvar Town
Day 13 Thursday
--Explore Hvar Island (rent car or scooters)
--Sleep = Hvar Town
Day 14 Friday
--Ferry Hvar Town to Dubrovnik OR Ferry Hvar Town to Split and then bus to Dubrovnik
--Sleep = Dubrovnik
Day 15 Saturday
--Explore Dubrovnik OR day trip to Montenegro OR Mljet OR Medjugorje
--Sleep = Dubrovnik
Day 16 Sunday
--Sleep = Dubrovnik
Day 17 Monday
--Sleep = Dubrovnik
Day 18 Tuesday
--Sleep = Dubrovnik
Day 19 Wednesday
--Flight out of Dubrovnik (morning)

1) We will be traveling from Venice to Istria in late May. We are planning to pick up a rental car in Pula and then drive to Rovinj which will be our home base in Istria. What do you recommend is the best way to make this happen? I have started investigating the ferry (www.fils.com) and bus schedules.
2) Is it possible to pick up a rental car in Rovinj for drop off in Split? I imagine you can arrange pick up in Rovinj for a fee. What do you recommend?
3) How we have it arranged, is Zagreb really worth it?
4) Best way Hvar Town to Dubrovnik? Ferry direct to Dubrovnik or ferry to Split and then bus to Dubrovnik? We are worried about the sporadic ferry schedules.
5) Do you recommend other islands—Brac, Pag, Vis, Krk, Korcula, Rab?
6) Please list any restaurants or private rooms that you loved.

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:15 PM

Betsy,
You are in for a treat! Venice and Croatia, you will have a wonderful vacation! Here are my random thoughts on your itinerary:

- You can definitely pick up your car in Pula or Rovinj and drop it off in Split. We picked up in Zagreb and dropped off in Dubrovnik without a problem (we used Kemwell, and we were very happy with them)
- I can’t comment on Zagreb, we only landed there and spent the night.
- We stayed at Hotel Adriatic in Rovinj and loved it.
- In Dubrovnik, take a day trip to Cavtat – wonderful little town, very quiet and relaxing
- We kept the car on Hvar (took the car ferry), and drove to Dubrovnik – took the ferry to Korkula, then another small ferry to Orebic. The drive was really nice; Korkula looked great from the ferry, I think it’s worth exploring it, too but with only 2 days in Hvar, I’m not sure you have time for anything else other than Hvar. Unless you skip Zagreb…but don’t skip Plitvice Lakes
- Don’t miss the fortress in Hvar – great views
- The direct ferry Hvar to Dubrovnik is 8 hrs…it’s long and boring, try to find another option

Have fun planning, there are a lot of people on this board who recently traveled to Croaria, you’ll get a lot more responses, I’m sure.

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:59 PM
nbujic

Trogir is very small, one day is enough
I would spend a day longer in Split.

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:52 AM

I agree with what the others have said, but I would add something to it regarding your stay in Istria. Hotel Adriatic has a nice location and a nice old building, but it seriously needs an interior renovation...it's disappointing..but you are not there for the hotels anyway.
See my other posts about touring Istria and only go to Opatija on your way out of Istria to Dalmatia - it is too far to go and come back to Istria.
The small precious gems in Istria are the ones you will treasure and remember - Beram for the frescoes, Roc and Hum, Sovinjak, Oprtalje, Zavrisje, Groznjan...and the food. I have three real favorites, and if you say the Michael told you they will treat you like family. For Tuscan cuisine - Rino's in Momjan and Pietrapelosa in Zrenj, and for seafood Astarea in Brtoniglja [or if the weather is great and you want to be on the water, then Konoba in Umag].
Have fun.
And if you are in the mood for something more strenuous, my friends and I are cycling every weekend and you can join us. I'm a diplomat in the Balkans, and use my house in Istria as a base for friends to come on weekends to relax, beach, and mostly ride - mtbs or road. We have extra bikes...or you can rent crappy mtbs in most coastal towns. More often than not someone brings new people, and we speak many languages, so everyone is welcome.
Oh, and my neighbor Dragan hosts a nice tour of the coastal towns on his yacht, if you are so inclined. All my friends have done it...but in 6 years I still have yet to even step onboard!
One more thing - since you have a choice...take the day trip to Montenegro and visit the Bay of Kotor. Find bikes to take there and ride around the "Boka", including the ferry. If you get a chance, either drive or ride up the twisty roads towards Lovcen and Njegus - most beautiful scenery you will ever see in your lifetime. Spend some time walking around Kotor and Perast. I used to spend many weekends in Montenegro when I worked in Kosovo and before I bought my house in Istria. Now I only get there maybe twice a year and I miss it. If you want to ride there...I can get you in touch with my friend Dejan in the cycling club.
You will find that the average person in the Balkans is at least as friendly as I am [I'm from US], and this is the real beauty of this area.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 01:29 PM

www.Venezialines.com operate to Pula, also another option if the other is full is Kompas Holidays who operate from Venice to Porec 3-4 times a week.
Having lived many years in Istria it irks me to see Istria now being marketed as "The new Tuscany" and the food there being called "Tuscan" (Author xyz99). That is like describing Italian food as being of Provence (France). Enjoy the Istrian cuisine which cannot be compared to anywhere else....better than Tuscan anytime!