Croatia Itinerary/going crazy-Help!

Nov 2nd, 2006, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Croatia Itinerary/going crazy-Help!

Am planning a trip next summer that will start in Venice and end in Dubrovnik (using FF miles into Venice and out of Zagreb-- will fly there from Dubrovnik). My question is, with 7 days, what would you do, given those beginning and ending places. We can fast ferry from Venice to Pula or Rovinj, then cheap flight to Zadar.

I will be traveling with a friend who is not a beach person so island visits may likely be limited but not ruled out. Also, I'd like time in Dubrovnik to do a day trip to Montenegro.
So, choices in between are: Plitvice Natl Park, Hvar, Korcula, Trogir, Pula....Would you base in Split area a couple days and do day trips? Suggestions please??
Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:44 PM

Kathy,

I'm interested in seeing what people suggest, but beware that I'm going to suggest something different from what I think you are considering.

First, let's lay out that the following are truly etched in stone: You have 7 days. You'll use one day getting between Venice and Dubrovnik. You'll use one of your Dubrovnik days to go to Montenegro.

Using all of those assumptions, I would spend three days in Venice and three days in Dubrovnik (including the day trip to Montenegro.)

I would make that recommendation even if I weren't aware from the other thread that your friend doesn't want to be changing lodging a lot. For my wife and me (yes, I consulted her before writing this post), that itinerary would be a dream trip.
Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Interesting Mike....I shrted myself a couple days. We have 10 days excluding 2 travel days at each end.

I think what could fill in the extra would be to take the train to Ancona and the day fast ferry at 11am over to Split and do the 2 nights there where we could do Hvar and Trogir. The Ancona-Split part has always made sense but I got so caught up in visting the Istria part of Croatia since I was coming from Venice.

The reality is there's only so much time and I don't want a frnzy---best to think of this as a lovely first sampler Croatia trip! Thanks so much for your help and for the beautiful pictures to make me certain all the planning efforts will be worth it! I'll be re-reading your posting when it gets closer for other suggestions.
Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:34 AM

That sounds like a great plan, Kathy.
Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:56 PM

Kathy, I also think your new plan should work nicely. We took the ferry from Venice to Rovinj last spring but it takes a while to work your way down the coast (we spent almost 2 weeks doing that).
Dubrovnik is the highlight of Croatia and the day trip to Montenegro is also worthwhile. Split is a fascinating place with Roman ruins thoroughly integrated into the town. From Split, you can easily take a bus to Trogir (sweet and quaint) or a ferry to Hvar Town with its stunning harbor. Enjoy!!
Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Reenie---I really wanted to do the route working down the coast from Istria after Venice but, as you indicated, it takes time and I have to do with the reality of how much time I can take this time! Did you do Hvar as a daytrip from Split or did you stay there? Where did you stay in Split? Thanks--Kathy
Nov 10th, 2006, 10:15 PM

I would just stay longer than 1 day on Split of I were to go to the Plitvice Park. I have just got back from a 6-day trip to Croatia. I absolutely loved it!

We arrived in Split, toured the gated city in 1-day. Took a ferry the next day to Hvar. Spent 2 days there and I would definetely had stayed longer if I had the time.

Now, the biggest mistake was getting a ferry from Hvar-Dubrovnik. The ferry took 7 boring-boring hours. If I were to do it again, I would definetely go back to Split and take a bus down the coast. We, then, spent 3 incredible days in Dubrovnik - we went to Lokrum one day. We were just sunbathing so it was OK. But there's nothing special about this island - I would choose another one.

Nov 11th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the posting about your trip and glad it was so great! I had decided the bus from Split to Dubrovnik is the best option, given what so many others have said. Right now the plan is to take the overnight ferry from Ancona directly to Hvar (via a fast stop in SPlit), stay overnight, then return to Split for an overnight stay then head to Dubrovnik where we will end the lodging hopping! I had thought about just doing Hvar as a daytrip to give us 2 nights in Split but I do like the idea of at least having the one evening there....

Search this Thread