Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Croatia Itinerary: Need to cut 9 days, any suggestions?

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I am planning my next trip: 6 weeks in Italy and 6 in Croatia. I am equally interested in both so necessity dictates a lot of things aren't going to make the cut. So far I've got 9 days too much planned in Croatia. What would you cut out of this itinerary.

Trieste to Zagreb...

Zagreb – 6 night (day trips to: Samobor, Kumrovic, Veliki Tabor Castle)

Varazdin – 2 nights (day trip to: Trakoscan castle)

Opatija – 2 nights (day trip to: Rijeka)

Pazin – 3 nights (day trips to: Vodnjan, Motovun)

Islands of Losinj and Cres – 5 nights (day trips: Cres Town, Osor, *2 days of scuba diving)

Krk Island/Krk Town – 3 nights (day trips to: Vrbnik, Kosljun Island Monastery)

Rab Island/Rab Town – 2 nights

Plitvice National Park – 2 nights

Zadar – 4 nights (day trips to:
Paklenica National Park, Pag Town, Telascica Bay and Kornati Islands)

Sibenik – 3 nights (day trips to: Krka National Park, Primosten)

Split – 4 nights (day trips to: Solin, Trogir, Makarska)

Vis Island/Vis Town – 2 nights (*1 full scuba diving day)

Brac Island/Supetar – 4 nights (day trips to: Bol, Cetina river trip, Skrip, Blue Grotto excursion)

Hvar Island/Hvar Town – 3 nights (day trips to: Stari Grad, Jelsa, *1 day of scuba diving)

Korcula Island – 3 nights (day trips to: Mljet Island, Orebic)

Dubrovnik – 6 nights (3 full day scuba package, Lokrum Island, Ston and Mali Ston)

Right now I am thinking of cutting: 1 day from Split, 1 night from Zagreb, 1 night from Hvar, 3 nights from Krk Island, 1 day from Brac, 1 day from Dubrovnik (but I will keep the scuba package for sure) and either Vis or Rab? I only kept Vis for 2 days as there is some interesting scuba diving I hear….hmmmm. I hate this part – the cutting bits #39;(

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Murphy

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

I guess I should say where my interest lie....I like medieval architecture and places where there are "things to do" - small fishing villages are fine, but don't amuse me for too long. I like my days to be active - opprotunities for site seeing, biking, diving, planned excursions etc.

Thanks,

Murphy
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:05 PM

we just got back from croatia and i think your cuts seem like pretty good ones.

i don't think i'd do less than 3 nights on hvar, as the essence of that island is s-l-o-w, and once you get there, you may as well stay.

didn't love split... i would rather base in trogir and daytrip to split... split is a major ferry destination and trogir has more charm, to my eye.

loved zagreb, but it is definitely a big city.

2 nights is the absolute minimum in plitvice, as it will take you ALL day to hike it and not leave much time to just enjoy it.

dubrovnik is such a wonderful location, i'd say you will want maximum time... we had 5 nights and it wasn't enough to really get around as we wanted.

i assume you will get down to dubrovnik by island-hopping... the road from split down is hellishly long... skip it if you can.

i have so many recommendations i want to make for croatia... hope to have the time to post them soon...
k.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi kawh,

Some great suggestions thank you! I will look into making Trogir my base - I hadn't thought of that....

I am staying in Zagreb so long only because of some seemingly excellent day-trip options. Otherwise I am a fan of the samll walkable city far more than those big hulking (however culturally rich) monsters.

Yeah, I think sadly I'm on the right track - Vis needs to go and so does Rab or Krk - I am having trouble letting Krk go though.

Would you choose Krk over 5 days on Losinj and Cres?

Let the cutting commence!

Thanks again,

Murphy