Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Croatia Experts: Help Needed, Please; October Weather

Mar 29th, 2009, 04:12 AM
te
Original Poster

Hello! We are currently scheduled to visit Croatia Oct. 1 through Oct. 11, with plans to start in Dubrovnik and make stops along the way in Split, Hvar, Istria, Zagreb, and end in Ljubljana, Slovenia. I read recently that there is a lot of rain in October, especially in Istria. Since my husband is an avid photographer, this would put a kink in our plans. So my question is: Is it usual to have a lot of cloudy, rainy weather during this time period, or is the rain sporadic? Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated!

Thanks so much.
Mar 29th, 2009, 07:19 AM

If I could answer your questions, there's no doubt that I would buy a villa in Cavtat. What I can tell is that I was wearing corduroy pants, sweater and lite jacket by 01 October this past year. Rain, yes off and on. Prior year, I flew out of Dubrovnik on 05 October still wearing tee shirt and capri pants. Today is windy and cold and rain...

Dobrodosli
Mar 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM
te
Original Poster

Thanks, Dubrovniktravelady!
Mar 29th, 2009, 10:41 AM

It has been awhile since we were in Croatia, but I looked up one of my trip reports, and we took a swim off the beach at Mlini on October 5th, 2004. I recorded it was "brisk", but pleasant after one got over the shock. As I recall, we had only one day with a bit of drizzle in late September/early October that year. The rest of the time was shirt sleeve weather.

Mar 29th, 2009, 11:12 AM

We've been in Croatia in October when it has been superbly gorgeous! Last time it rained while in Dubrovnik but nowhere else. Like nukesafe, we have been able to swim in October often. Some October days I find to be downright hot! It is my personal favourite time of the year to go. Unfortunately rain is a chance you have to take like elsewhere.

We still have about three feet of snow on the ground here (Canada) so anywhere else would be pretty warm in comparison...