Croatia Dubrovnik parking

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be staying at the Hilton Hotel and I read a Trip Advisor review that they were charged over 50 Euro for one nights parking! Does anyone know if there are parking lots in Dubrovnik that will be less expensive?
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 06:46 AM

Their website says E27 per day for those who are staying at the hotel, about like parking at the Mayflower, in Washington. However, it is E55 for those who only want to park there.

Why would anyone spend that to park? Because it is the most convenient parking to the old city.

They only have 50 spaces, so you might want to reserve one if you don't find something cheaper.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 04:47 AM

Driving and parking in Dubrovnik is very difficult. The new garage has opened and you could park there. However you either must take the shuttle bus down to the Pile or walk down 176 steps. The shuttle runs every 1/2 hour, however no one knows when it will start running again. Bus stopped on 31 October and my best guess is that it will begin sometime near Easter Sunday. A car in Dubrovnik is not necessary and you will pay dearly for parking.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

I did check with the hotel and since I am staying there the cost is E27.50 per 24 hours. I will be driving back to Zagreb later in the week so I will need to keep the car.I was looking to see if there were cheaper alternatives to the Hilton lot but I guess this is the best deal in Dubrovnik. Thanks to everyone for their input.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM

I don't know the details of your itinerary, but you could potentially do one-way rentals, right? The worst problem is paying a hefty one-way drop fee if you rent for less than a few days I think. I suppose you have to balance the parking per-night vs. any one-way drop fees - but I don't know how long you are staying in Dubrovnik or whether you'd need to pay the one-way drop fee. FYI, if you happen to be renting with Sixt, their city location is at the Hilton and cars are dropped/picked up right there in the garage...
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 02:30 PM

When we visited last Spring, we were able to stay in a free lot just a bit past Fort Lovrijenac. I just looked on our city map and it is designated with a P on the map. It is very close to the Hilton Imperial...in fact we walked past the hotel on the way to our digs in the Old Town. I have no idea though, it if is still there, or whether it is limited to Old Town residents.

To get to it, take the first left just after the hotel (going towards Lapad) there is a one-lane road that goes up to a dirt lot at the top of the hill. Be carefull because this lane is shared by traffic going both ways, you may have to back up. (It feels a bit like the game of chicken.) There were no gates or security, just a lot of cars. We were there for several nights and did not get a ticket or see any vandalism, but that was in the off-season. Unfortunately, I don't know if our license was given to any type of parking official since we gave the number to our landlord after he told us where to park. Perhaps the Tourist Information office can help you determine whether you can park there.
Good luck!

--Annie
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 12:38 AM

I don't know if the free lot mentioned in the last post is still free (it is impossible to keep up with the changes in parking rules in Dubrovnik!) but if it is, it is a great option. If not, the new parking garage is only about 10 minutes walk from the Pile Gate and costs about 8 Euros per day. There are signs to the garage when you exit the main road for Dubrovnik. I am sure that reception at the Hilton can give you directions from the hotel once you drop off your luggage.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

I will try to find information on both the free lot and the new garage. I will have to check to see if dropping off and starting a new rental after my visit to Dubrovnik would make sense. I do not think I will need a car while in Dubrovnik but I will need it to arrive and after when I depart.
You have all given me more choices to think about Thanks again!
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 01:04 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
anniemackle is right. Here is my description of getting in the free lot on June 2008.

"We hopped back in the car and drove to Dubrovnik to attempt to find the parking lot, which was nearby our apartment. Yes, there was a parking area, but the route to get there was a little more difficult than we had been told. Although a two-way street, only one car could navigate it safely at a time. Plus, there were more than a couple of blind spots.

Having already nearly caused a border incident and, shortly thereafter, driving in a pedestrian-only zone, my confidence was not at its peak. Fortunately, the troops had my back.

Forming a human parking attendant chain, Tracy, Kim and Mary positioned themselves along the route shouting directions and warning each other if any other vehicles were coming toward our direction. A few near misses later, and with looks of amazement from other drivers, we were safely ensconced in our parking spot at the top of the hill (which, by the way, had terrific Adriatic views)."