Croatia/Austria/Dolomites??

Old Nov 19th, 2022, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia/Austria/Dolomites??

Hi!
I am planning a belated honeymoon, and am having a hard time limiting myself! Originally, my husband and I wanted a 2-country honeymoon, with a few days in Vienna, Austria followed by a few days on the beach at Croatia (and maybe Plitvice mixed in there too!). Then, I saw a friend's photos from Therme Merano in the Dolomites! And now, I want a 3 country trip!

We are aiming for 11-12 days, and I'm fine with 3-4 days in Vienna and Croatia and just 2 in Therme Merano. What I need insight on is the order of the trip. We'll be flying from DC to one of those places. Which is easiest/cheapest to fly to? The 3 cities are in a triangle with each other so I can't decide the best route. I think I'd prefer to end with Therme Merano or Croatia?

Has anyone done anything like this with these 3 places?

Thanks!
Old Nov 20th, 2022, 04:06 AM

A few remarks:
Merano has absolutely nothing to do with the Dolomites. It's a nice place in the wineyards, with tons of easy hiking trails and handy for day trips to the Engadin-Bernina aarea (Switzerland), Lake Garda or the historic city center of Bolzano/Bozen. It can get very hot in summer. IMO it is not worth the detour from Vienne.
Old Nov 20th, 2022, 05:02 PM

Big triangle for the time frames you describe. Are you traveling by car or by train?
Old Nov 21st, 2022, 12:47 PM

I don't think you can do that itinerary well with 11-12 days. But I would not despair over it--there is plenty to enjoy.
What month are you traveling, and where are you traveling from? (I ask the latter because there are limited direct flights to Croatia in summer). I have flown to Croatia via Vienna, so it is a good place to transit through. I would look at flying to Croatia and flying home from there. Overland travel with a stop in Italy in between is just going to eat your time. Plus, I honeymooned in Croatia, so I have a bias.