Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Critique my Itinerary-1-1/2 Days in Barcelona

Old Sep 28th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will arrive about noon in Barcelona on a Wednesday in October and depart first thing Friday morning. American couple, no kids, will have just finished a week along the southern coast of Spain. Neither of us has ever been to Barcelona.

Here's what we have planned:

Day One: arrive, drop bags at hotel in Gothic Quarter. Have lunch. 3:00 tour of Palau de la Musica, Picasso Museum with audio guide, walk around El Born area, back to Gothic Quarter, walk around. Rest at hotel, dinner out.
Day Two: Sagrada Familia (no towers- vertigo), Palau Guell, Casa Mila, Casa Batilo, shopping and strolling Passeig de Gracia. Siesta and late dinner.

I'd like to visit the hospital as well, but not sure when. Would welcome any feedback. Realize advance tix necessary for Palau tour, SF and the two Gaudi houses, and recommended for Picasso Museum. Realizing I'm leaving out Parc Guell, Basilica. Mistake? Like to leave a little time for strolling or stopping for coffee or a glass of wine.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 12:17 PM

One and a half day is making some compromises. I even had to do the same last year, when I had some five full days for the city.
It would be a pity to miss the Hospital de San Pau, especially when it is within walking distance from the Sagrada Familia along a street which looks to have been made for it. You could win considerable time when you make the difficult decision to limit your visit to the Sagrada Familia to the exterior...
Otherwise I can't see any blemish on your itinerary: you've rightly chosen all the highlights, of which the Palau de la Música might well be the most impressive.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 01:53 PM

My advice would be to take good time for the spectacular Sagrada Familia and Hospital de Sant Pau, and then slow down for coffees, glasses of wine and great meals.

Thursday October 9. and 16., two of the greatest on the current flamenco scene perform in the Palau de la Musica. Farruquito and Karime Amaya with a huge etc. of local talent. http://www.palaumusica.cat/en/progra...e&cycle=355753

Farruquito: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOoIqwfHSdQ
Karime Amaya, the grand-niese of the greatest flamenco dancer of all times, the barcelonesa Carmen Amaya (1917-1963): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CklXLAvSIyc
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 08:18 PM

After visiting Sagrada Familia you can stroll to Hospital Sant Pau in 15 minutes via pedestrian street Av. Gaudi.
Even when you don't want (or can't, timewise) visit the interior, already the exterior views of the main building that you run into coming up Av. Gaudi are very impressive and definetely worth the short walk.
They also have a cafe/bar at the Hospital open for anyone outside the ticketed areas.

With such a short time in the city, I'd probably only visit one Gaudi house less. But that is more personal preference than an objective advice.

If you need some time to sit and relax in between Palau Güell and the houses on Pg. de Gracia, you find nice places to unwind on Pl. Reial. Or El Jardí, a café/bar "hidden" in the courtyard of old Hospital Santa Creu.

Not sure what kind of shopping you are looking for, but while Pg. de Gracia is the major shopping boulevard, it features mostly big, international brands.
If you look for something more quirky or local designers you may get more lucky in El Born or in upper half of Raval.
In case you need new trainers/runners after your race through town ;-)
https://www.munichsports.com/
A pretty unique Barcelona brand, hardly available outside Spain.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 01:58 AM

I would also remove one of the Gaudi houses, and I would substitute La Boqueria for Passeig de Gracia. If you visit the market at midday to break up the architecture you can have your lunch there too.
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 04:08 AM

Yes, of course La Boqueria as RM67 suggests, one of the finest food markets in the world and a great place for lunch. Loud and crowded, but the people in the bars serve excellent food, and are very efficient and in full control: http://www.gardenista.com/posts/la-boqueria-market
http://www.costacucina.com/2014/07/2...rcelona-spain/
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, tonfromleiden. It seems like we may need to choose to see four out of the following five for day two: SF, Hospital, Palau Guell, Casa Mila, Casa Batilo. Otherwise we'll just be running from one to another and not leave enough time to stroll the Passeig de Gracia. SF is a must see, I know. But some posters here and guide books have differing views on the other four. Anybody care to weigh in?
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

And thank you Cowboy1968, RM67, and kimhe. Thanks for the links and I appreciate the shopping tips. I am in the process of purchasing the Hospital de Sant Pau tickets. It says I can choose a self guided tour or a guided tour, which is the self-guided plus other administrative areas with a guide. Which would you choose?