Crimea in the Fall (1st time)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip in the fall that will include Romania, Istanbul, and the Crimea. I have made some progress on the Romania portion, so now I want to move on to the Crimea. We are in our 60's, well-traveled, independent, and most interested in culture and history (and wine).

This is what I have so far:

Fly into Simferopol and arrange transport to Yalta.

Yalta (3 nights) -- visit Livadia Palace, Vorontosov and Alupka Palaces, Swallows Nest, Massandra Winery, dinner with a local family (my husband speaks some Russian so he is really looking forward to this)

Arrange transport to Bakhchysarav along the scenic southern route and include a stop at the Naval Museum.

Bakhchysarav (3 nights) -- visit Khan's palace, Uspensky Monastery and the Cave Cities,
arrange a 1-day tour of Sevastopol inculding Crimean War sites and the Museum of 4 Wars

Transport to Simferopol and fly to Istanbul

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed visiting Crimea (and Lviv, if you have time for some of the rest of Ukraine, the Crimeans don't think they are Ukrainian). You seem to have a good itinerary planned, what are your questions?

If my TR can help, it is at http://www.wilhelmswords.com/eur2006/index.html

I can recommend the agencies I used to book hotels and train tickets: http://www.blacksea-crimea.com/ and http://www.travel-2-ukraine.com/

Note that in Crimea you will need a Russian phrase book, NOT Ukrainian.
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks thursdaysd -- just wanted to see if I was on the right track. Much appreciate the links to the agencies! I found a page on the blacksea-crimea site that covers the Lessya Ukrainka museum that is very appealing to me.

Your TR is very helpful too. Hotel Otdykh looks like a good option for us (so many of the hotels in Yalta are outrageously expensive). Thank you!
Old Aug 8th, 2012, 03:55 AM

Have choosing Crimea, especially in autumn, you made a good choice! Soft climat, clean air, mountains, narrow streets, museums, juicy fruits... I envy you!
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:30 AM

Thank you for interesing review of Crimea cities, we are going there in two weeks
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 12:49 PM

Hello, everybody!

I can just add to above recommendations to visit Sevastopol, especially if you're interested in Crimean (Eastern War).