crime rate in Ireland

Search

crime rate in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crime rate in Ireland

I never read anything about this, so maybe that is good news and there are no pickpockets in Ireland. Has anyone had trouble in Dublin or west-Ireland.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Many trips, no problems. Use common sense and you will be fine.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:35 PM

There are pickpockets everywhere (you think they somehow missed a whole country?).

Wherever you find large groups of tourists or masses of locals (esp major events at which people may be pre-occupied) you will find them.

Just be sensible, use normal care and you will be fine.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:02 PM

Every forum I've ever seen has at least one... what can you do?

Sure there's crime, the patterns are not that different, that I can think, than most countries - most crime you do hear about is in the cities, not much in the countryside. Dublin has it's rougher areas, Cork and Limerick too. But not nearly to the extent you'd see in a lot of countries - US or Europe. Haven't heard much on pickpockets from relatives there, and hadn't noticed major precautions they take around Dublin. There's no reputation for the 3 person crews working public places with bumping you, cardboard kids, squirting things on you for a distraction, like I've read pretty regularly from other parts of Europe. That's not saying it couldn't happen though, just like it *could* happen in Cleveland. But haven't yet read about anyone coming back and reporting one of these incidents. One thing I have been advised was not to leave anything too enticing in plain view in a car. Those sorts of common sense things are the best approach.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 06:50 AM

There are pickpockets in every country...I was pickpocketed here in Dublin but....I was in the Kilkenny Shop on a very crowded touristy day and had my bag held by my legs (no strap just handles) and it was probably open (one of those openish straw ones). They thought I was a tourist with some cash as the tour buses stop here. I have never had a problem before or after...its not a commom occurence but zip up your bag!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Crime goes where the money is. Large Ireland cities, or tourist destinations have their share of pickpockets. I spend many weeks in rural areas and small towns. The idea of a pickpocket in a small Irish town is beyond belief. I have never been a victim of any crime in Ireland, but car breakins are becoming common. Leave your cargo out of sight.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:57 AM

A lot of places in Ireland use the Dynamic Currency Conversion system on your credit card which converts your transactions into $$$. This will cost you an extra 3% for your purchase/hotel/rental car, etc. Now, that's a crime!!!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:50 AM

I have been on Tripadvisor checking out reviews on hotels/hostels/guesthouses and I have come across some reviews talking about how items have been stolen from rooms and there was nothing done about it. Some even said that the hotel staff ignored their complaints and seemed to laugh at the situation.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Jedivader,

Isolated istances of petty crimes made larger by their posting on forums in Cyber space should be taken with a large dose of skepticism.

There is certainly no place in this world that one travels where they are 100 percent safe.

It takes common sense and a relaxed alertness, you will be fine if you utilize these two tools. Not appearing a vcitim or an eay mark is another. Someone who appears nervous and fidgety will be a more easy mark than someone who projects confidence.

I have left my vehicles in Ferry terminal carparks, both in Doolin and Rossaveal, for 4-5 days at a time, luggage fully in view, as there is no way to hide the luggage of 6 people in a minivan. I have always come back to find nothing amiss. I don't travel with a money belt or a purse. My money is tucked deep in my front pocket, my credit card and ID sits in a belt wallet worn to the inside of my jeans.

I have only had one instance where someone attempted to pick my pocket. For their troubles, they were rewarded with several dislocated fingers and a visit with the Garda. They told the Garda that I looked distracted enough. I am well aware of my surroundings no matter where I go or how it might appear.

Lyban,

Enjoy your time in Ireland, don't fret over the crime rate or what "might" happen. As Irisheyes, Nytraveler and the rest of us have said, use your common sense and you will be fine.

Slan Beo,

Bit
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
My daughter was at a hotel in Dublin that was apparently in a somewhat industrial area of the city. She and the two friends she was sharing with came back to their room in the middle of the night and found a male intruder inside. They ran to the desk and the intruder left with some cash and their iPods.

One of the friends she was traveling with has written a report on Tripadvisor, and that might be what jedivader saw.

The door lock to their room was apparently not working well and they did not realize that it wasn't locked when they left the room. Important to check to make sure the door is locked, just in case there is a problem with it.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM

CowboyCraic wrote: "I have only had one instance where someone attempted to pick my pocket. For their troubles, they were rewarded with several dislocated fingers and a visit with the Garda. "

Bit, I was already somewhat afraid of you. Now I'm terrified.

Nikki, is there any update? Has the hotel made an adequate compensatory gesture to your daughter and her friends?
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 06:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Padraig, the hotel asked for the receipt for my daughter's iPod, which made it sound like they were going to refund something to her. I faxed it to them, and then I got an e-mail stating that they were submitting it to their insurance company.

But no action yet. And no response to the latest e-mails from her and from me. I've been away on vacation so I stopped pursuing it for a while. Time to start again, I guess.

I thought this was her issue, but I seem to have become involved in it after all.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 07:35 PM

In comparison to pickpockets, you are at far greater risk from dirty toilets and snippy little dogs. I love, love, love Ireland but could write an outhouse book (compare to coffee table book) on unpleasant toilets.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 02:00 AM

I hipe she gets the money for the Ip[od back. God I never save receipts!! Goodfor you.

I feel safer in Dublin than most cities but then again I lived in NY and Boston for several years and I put by radar on when I travell asia alone which I have always been right about my instincts. Its fine here and basically if we walk around with wads of cash and the wallet hanging out yes we will get pickpocketed! Its safe son'e worry
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Padraig,

Thanks for the smile this morning. You've nothing to fear from me, just keep your fingers out of my pockets!

Nikki,

Good to know that the issue hasn't been dropped. I am sure that there will be a satisfactory resolution for your daughter, albeit at a slower pace than we are used to in the states.

Grapes,

I must have the luck of the Faeries, as I have encountered neither nasty toilets or snippy little dogs. In fact, I was just looking at someone's pictures from a trip and they had snapped a picture of plaque outside of a public toilet which declared "Cleanest Toilet In Ireland", which I found quite humourous.

Lyban,

again its common sense and awareness of your surroundings that will serve you best.

Slan Beo,

Bit
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Grapes, I also found the restroom facilities in Ireland to be far more available and far cleaner than what we have around here (US). There are even clean public toilets in 500 year old castles (who knew their plumbing was so good back then?)
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 04:34 AM

Trouble in Dublin?............no way, Ireland is full of Saints (* cough *)
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 01:42 AM

lucielou writes:
<< Trouble in Dublin?............no way, Ireland is full of Saints (* cough *) >>
Does that include the 'Travelers?'

That's a whole nuther dimension we may want to consider ...

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 05:12 AM

Aw come on Ned, we cant be covering nuther dimenions, what do you think we are!....thats too much work altogether, sure we wouldnt have any time for the pub, if we had to be covering nuther dimensions

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Good Morning,lucielou, and thanks for the good chuckle. It's always good to read Nedsireland on this forum.

Regards, Joan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -