Search

Crete, Sicily or Sardinia?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crete, Sicily or Sardinia?

Hello everyone,

We have narrowed our choices down for our 18 day family summer vacation to Crete, Sicily or Sardinia and we need your advice on which destination you would all recommend. We will be travelling with our two sons, ages 18 and 17.

We will include a secondary destination with all three, namely 4/5 days in Rhodes if we choose Crete, 4/5 days in Corsica if we choose Sardinia and 3/4 days in the Aeolian Islands, if we choose Sicily.

All three look so wonderful. They each have their own unique character and beauty and although they are all large Mediterranean islands, they are very different in many ways. Like many people who travel to Southern Europe, we enjoy medieval towns, nice beaches, historical sites and feeling like we are immersed in the native culture. We will be coming up with our own itinerary and rent a car for all three destinations and we want to have a good mix of sightseeing and relaxation.

All of your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Andrea
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 01:59 PM

To get the best advice, I advise you to spell out more clearly what you mean by "summer" -- it makes a BIIIG difference, both in terms of high temps & big crowds (from European jumbo-jet charters and package holiday offers). I know school dictates,. but you do best in both these categories if you could start mid-to-latish June thru mid-july. Mid-July thru Aug 15 or 20th is Worst time, especially if you want to roam around, be active, and actually dip into local culture in villages etc -- the huge European influx during that time detracts from experience.

I realize it might be a crunch, moving straight from school/college final exams to the airport ... but believe me, it may be worth it. No matter how much you love ruins, and hiking thru landscapes, when the temp gets above 100°F, all you can think about is getting into the water or into the A/C.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 02:01 PM

It is like choosing between white, rosé and red wine.
Depends on waht you like and what you want to use it with (fish or meat...).

You only can decide.

We've been to Crete and Sicily and will go - hopefully - in Sardinia one day.

Cyprus is also great.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 03:36 PM

Have done all three and loved them all, but from what you say, I'd suggest Crete.
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Travelerjan: We are planning to travel between late July and mid-August, which is the only time we can get away. We do not mind the heat but will also not overdo the sightseeing in any given day. Knowing this travel period, where do you suggest?

Whathello: Which type of wine best describes which destination?

NeoPatrick: Why did you like Crete more than the other two? As well, do you think we should use some of the days to travel to Rhodes, as we are planning, or spend the entire time in Crete?

Thanks guys.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 12:33 AM
kja

"between late July and mid-August"

I'm sure you have already learned that Sicily can be uncomfortably hot at this time of year. And since some of Sicily's highlights are without shade (e.g., Agrigento and other ruins), Sicily might not be your best choice. Your call!
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kja. However, that is the only time of the year we can travel as a family so we will just have to take it easy when sightseeing (if Sicily is our choice).

I guess what we are looking for in advice is the differences between them, as we have not been to the three destinations. Beaches, historical sights, small, quaint medeival towns and natural beauty are the things that we love and are wondering what each destination offers more than the others in these categories.

Thank so much.

Andrea
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 07:43 AM

I have not been to Crete so cannot comment, but I have been to both Sardegna and Sicily. Both of very distinct, very different and rather insular, fascinating cultures once you are beyond the zones developed for tourism, and in Sardegna these tend to almost be enclaves.

For Sardegna you would absolutely need a car, even to access most beaches. There are only a handful of "medieval" towns/sights in Sardegna, some super-touristy (like Alghero) and some that are lovely but apart from the stunning historic center of Cagliari, crowded by a castle, you really need to ferret these small towns out (like Santulussurgiu or Tresnuraghes or Tulli) without a lot of help from guidebooks The unique mysterious Nuraghe culture is fascinating, but it's an archeological treat, only occasionally an aesthetic one. The wild landscapes of the rocky mountainous interior and hundreds of miles of unspoiled dramatic blue coastline (much of which can only be accessed by boat) has exceptional primitive beauty. Sheep outnumber people. Everything about Sardegna away from the yacht/shopping/partying/resort harbors feels so unlike other places in the world, even other places in Italy. If you want to feel like you traveled to a foreign country and encountered a foreign (but marvelously polite) foreign culture, going to Sardegna is exciting. Food and wine is a non-stop discovery.

Mainland Sicily has much more variety than Sardegna, easier to get around, and in its cities and larger towns it is quite an open, cosmopolitan culture (less so in the interior). Sicilian food and wine might be the most user-friendly in all of Italy if you are coming from North America. Lots of familiar dishes and flavors, abundant portions. This is the real home of gelato (in summer the locals eat it for breakfast). It has some spectacular world class sights of historic and aesthetic interest -- all of which will be crawling with tourists despite the heat, as will the beaches. With a car, you can head into the mountains and not only escape the heat but also tourist swarms and find a Sicily still operating inside centuries old tradition.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 07:45 AM

I think Crete would offer the most opportunity to get away from Crowds, simply because you can get up into the mountainous areas, and small villages, by day, where tourists seldom venture.

Medieval towns? Not so much. Chania is beautifully Venetian .. considered the most beautiful Old Town in Crete (and 2nd-most in Greece, next to Nafplio). I cannot compare with Sicily or Sardinia, since as an American retiree travel abroad is costly; since I can't go often, I always choose Greece, my first love.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 07:55 AM

If you have 18 days, then yes, I'd say 4 days in Rhodes would be nice if you are doing Crete. Loved the hike (and thinking of your boys) through the Samarian Gorge -- a full day. Just lots to do in Crete and more varied in my mind than the other two.
And yes, less crowded in July/August than the other two.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 08:22 AM

Sardinia has the best beaches and very good beach hotels with very high prices (August is top high season in italy). Count about 200 USD/halfboard/pax (without beverages) and you can go to beautiful places like Capriccioli, Spiaggia dei Pini a Fertilia, Chia, Villasimius/Costa Rei, or the beaches between Olbia and San Teodoro. The very nice beaches in Corsica are in the same price range.
Historic stuff: museums at Cagliari and Sassari, Barumini, Isili, Tharros, Filitosa;

Sicily has the best Greek temples and theatres as swell as stunning arab and medieval architecture. The most popular beaches around Taormina will be crowded. Sicily has tons of beaches, even in Nature parks like Vendicari or Zingaro, but not of the same quality as Sardinia. As August is high season, it could make sense to book hotels with private beaches.

Crete has no Greek temples or theatres, but some interesting Minoan excavations nevertheless. There ar tons of good small beaches and small hotels nearby. In a general way, villages of Crete look more scenic than those of Sicily. Crete has very good hiking trails. The price level is lower than in Sardinia/Corsica.