Crete or Malta

Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Crete or Malta

Hi I am debating which of the two places would be best for a young couple who are going away for a romantic holiday in September. It has to have sun and sea, with a bit of nightlife and plenty to do during the day (picturesque areas to visit etc as we will be hiring a car)

All advice welcome.

thanks
Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:28 AM

Malta is cheaper and much more charming in a rundown sort of shabby way (not shabby chic), I love it there, many people are too shallow to see beyond the surface blemishes.

However, both places are hot and dusty, I'd recommend northern Tenerife - beautiful, and nothing like the dumpy south. See my previous postings on this destination for more info.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:49 AM

I would vote crete over Malta for a younger couple. I have not been to malta but I know friends of mine spent 2 weeks there and are in their late 20's and found it to be too quiet.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:02 PM

I've never heard anyone raveabout Malta; and being inellectually dislexic, I read your post to refer to Cyprus, not Crete. I would recommend either over Malta
Jun 2nd, 2004, 02:11 PM

People seem to either love or hate Malta. I was there for a week and thought for that length of time it was great but I wouldn't have wanted to stay much longer.

If you want better nightlife in Malta I would recommend you stay near the St Julian's area. Getting around the island is easy and there is lots to see. A lot of the sites are quite historical, some could be described as picturesque (but that's not really one of Malta's qualities).

If you want beaches then Malta isn't for you as it's probably the one thing it doesn't do well compared to a lot of other places.

I haven't been to Crete so can't compare the two.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:42 PM
Amy

Well, here's my little Malta rave: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34454157

Adrienne just did a lovely trip report for Malta.,,fun reading to help you make up your mind!

It's not beachy, though, except in small bits and pieces.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:38 PM

Thanks Amy...glad you read and enjoyed my trip report. Your suggestions/comments on Malta were very helpful in planning the trip.

I thoroughly enjoyed Malta but it's not a place for beaches (unless you're deep-sea or scuba diving. There are only a couple of sandy beaches.

I don't know about the late night activity but everything seemed to close up early, except in the St. Julian's area.

I also didn't think it was a particularly romantic place. If you love prehistoric ruins, gorgeous churches and small towns then Malta is for you. If you're looking for natural beauty then it's not for you since I didn't think Malta was beautiful.