Crete-Samaria Gorge

Search

Crete-Samaria Gorge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crete-Samaria Gorge

How strenuous of a hike is the Samaria Gorge? I have read that it's all downhill, about 10 miles--is this correct? About how long does it take? Do you need hiking boots, or do you think we'd be ok in Teva's? We enjoy hiking, but are not in the best shape--is there a lot of scrambling over rocks, or are the trails pretty easy? I'm pretty clumsy, and I don't handle rock scrambling too well. Thanks very much for your advice.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 02:46 PM

The route is easy and it's all downhill.

The first km or so is the Xyloskala or Wooden Stair, which is exactly what it is.

The trails are well maintained and there is no scrambling.

IMHO sandals, Tevas or otherwise, are not good idea, and I would suggest something with ankle support, but people do do it with the most unsuitable footwear.

It takes 4- 5 hours, and the last 45 minutes or so is wholly unshaded. So take a good hat, lots of sun block and start as early in the morning as you can bear.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. We'll give it a try and bring our hiking boots!
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:42 PM

One word of preparation - the Samaria Gorge is generally a one-way trip. As far as I know, there is no road near the end point - only a ferry. Plan on joining a group tour - bus to the start, ferry back to civilization, bus back to the beginning.

My wife and I did not prepare ahead of time. We went in one hour and hiked back up the wooden staircase. It was worth the effort. Beautiful, undescribable scenerie.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 02:42 AM

I'm sorry, I should have said that. You can, of course, do it, as we did, easily on the service bus. It will save you a little, not a lot, money.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 04:12 AM

It is a one-way trip. But you can take the ferry to Khora Sfakion and a bus back up to the north coast from there.

Gorgeous walk - and if you have the time you could consider stopping in Loutron - I expect there are now places to stay there that you can book on line in advance!!!! Twas not thus in 1977, and by 1989 it was getting quite developed. Still, if the only way in and out remains by ferry (does it - anyone know? - I do hope so) ... then it might be worth considering.