Crete - Am I trying to do too much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've finally nailed down my itinerary for a one week trip to Crete, but I'm concerned that I'm trying to pack too much into our short visit. It's hard for me to tell how long it will take to explore all the different places enroute since I'm unfamiliar with the roads and understand that it's the journey, not the destination in many cases.

Day 1 - Arrive late in Chania
Day 2-3 - Explore western Crete - Elafonissi, Paleohora, Sougia (and of course Chania)
Day 4 - Hike Imbros Gorge, drive through Frangokastelo, Plakias and end up in Matala; visit Phaistos)
Day 5 - Drive to Ierapetra
Day 6 - Drive to Sitia
Day 7 - Spend night in Heraklion area
Day 8 - visit Knossos first thing in morning; early afternoon flight back to Athens

I guess my question is this - should we spend a longer time in Chania, maybe spending day 4 in Sfakia or Plakius and spend a night in Rethimno instead of going to Ierapetra and Sitia? If so, logistically, how do we include Rethimno in our itinerary? Is there somewhere within an hour's drive of Heraklion or Knossos that we should stay instead?

Again, thank you for your input.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Are you trying to do too much? It is hard for me to say. Despite having driven to most of the named destinations, and familiarity with the roads, the sights and the lodgings thereof, during 4 extended visits in Greece, I realize I can only supply snippets of information (as well as snippets on Athens and Nauplion) which seem to be of little value. I guess you will have to find out by trying it.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Janet, I have listened to everything you and others on the forums have suggested. I have cut back on my itinerary based on your advice. Your information doesn't cover anything in eastern Crete. Sitia, in particular, was recommended by a close friend who lived in Crete many years ago. I'm merely trying to determine whether it's worth sacrificing the time that could be spent on the western and southern part of the island.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 12:24 PM

My gut reaction is that you need to add a day in the west and lose Sitia. I wouldn't do Elafonissos and Paleochora in the same day (and, frankly, I wouldn't do both of them in 3 days). It is occurring to me that a good option for you might be to go to the south coast and take one of the coastal ferries. The problem is that the roads go north south and you have to go nearly all the way back to the National Highway before you can turn round and aim for the next place

http://www.sfakia-crete.com/sfakia-crete/ferries.html#B

I'm struggling to find details of the boat from Paleochora to Elafonissos, but there definitely was one the last time we stayed there.

Sitia itself is pretty nondescript, but there is interesting stuff in the Hinterland. Not, I suspect, so interesting that you would suffer by leaving it out.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Sheila, I wasn't planning on doing Elafonissi and Paleohora on the same days. The ferry idea is interesting. We'll have a car but maybe it's something I can take care of once we get there.

I can lose Ierapetra and Sitia, no big deal. How do I visit the southern coast and tie Rethimno into our trip?
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi internetwiz,

we did this aort of trip 25 years ago when we were young and foolish in a Renault 4. it was the ideal vehicle as it has a high clearance, and nothing I have read about Crete persuades me that the roads are much improved in the last 25 years.

which is a roadabout way of saying that IMHO you are trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot. driving between most of these places will take you a loooong time. when we were there, our map showed a road going across the southern coast. it didn't exist then, and I suspect it doesn't exist now.

in a week, I would pick either west or eastern crete, and if you have to get from one end to the other, forget about gonig south and concentrate on the northern coast. which is my way of answering your last question: << How do I visit the southern coast and tie Rethimno into our trip?>>

short answer - you can't.

sorry to be such a kill-joy,

regards, ann