Crepes

Feb 23rd, 2001, 05:13 AM
Jean

Crepes

My husband & I were in Cannes for the day last year and had crepes with smoked salmon and cream. I'm trying to identify the "cream" so i can fix them at home. Can anyone help? THANKS!

Feb 23rd, 2001, 05:41 AM
Ess

Was it creme fraiche? No real equivalent in the U.S. I think, except heavy cream. Unless you have a gourmet shop nearby that carries it?

Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:44 AM
StCirq

It was undoubtedly crème fraîche. To make your own, take a pint of heavy cream and pour it in a glass bowls. Add either two tablespoons of sour cream or two tablespoons of buttermilk. Stir a bit, if you use the sour cream (but you don't need to really whip it in - lumps are fine). Cover the bowl and put it in a somewhat warm place (top of the fridge works nicely). In 24-48 hours, you'll have crème fraîche (at a tenth the cost of what you'd pay at the gourmet store).

Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:52 AM
jean

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I thought it might be creme fraiche, but wasn't sure. I'm trying it tonight. Thanks again!!

Feb 23rd, 2001, 01:25 PM
clairobscur

Thanks for this info, StCirq...I recently gave a recipe including "creme fraiche" on another board, using the word "cream" to translate "creme fraiche". I didn't know this product wasn't available in the US...

Feb 23rd, 2001, 02:13 PM
Micaela

Jean, Do you, by chance, live in New York City? If so, Fairway has numerous brands of Creme Fraiche as well as many other tasty goodies from all over Europe!

Feb 23rd, 2001, 02:20 PM
StCirq

<<I didn't know this product wasn't available in the US...>>

Well, it is, at exorbitant prices in the gourmet stores, but I use so much of it I could never afford to keep up my habit if I didn't learn how to make it.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 07:05 PM
jean

Again, Thanks to all of you. We had the crepes (whole wheat) this evening - yummy!! I used the creme fraiche but it didn't seem to be the right consistency. I added a little fat fee sour cream and it was perfect. Great people in here!!

Feb 23rd, 2001, 07:22 PM
Rex

See my post on "Presidente butter". And it is not expensive here. A couple of bucks for about a pint container (served bulk).

Feb 24th, 2001, 02:23 AM
Doug Weller

Clairobscur, don't worry, you aren't the first person to think creme fraiche is fresh cream! Although you can indeed use it on strawberries, it is not a substitute for cream, and the suggestions to make it sound good (not surprised about adding the sour cream to it).

Doug

Feb 24th, 2001, 07:11 AM
StCirq

It takes at least a day or two to thicken to the right consistency, so you have to plan ahead (or add some sour cream - but then it gets a slightly tangy taste that crème fraîche shouldn't have).