Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to tell how old a Navigo Decouverte card is?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been using our Navigo Decouverte cards every time we visit Paris for many years. Damned if I can remember (Alzheimer's strikes again) on which trip we bought them. I know you can no longer reload the card after ten years, and we will be going again in May 2014.

There is no date of purchase printed on the card, so my question is there any way to determine the remaining period of validity, other than going to Paris and sticking it into a machine?

Of course, I can just make sure to bring along another photo, so I can get a new card, but I'm rather fond of my venerable travel companion. It has led me to some wondrous places.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 01:00 PM

Auction house, take two?
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 01:27 PM

There isn't any way to tell by looking at it, but can't you reload it online on www.navigo.fr? I've never tried, but it says you can if you have the right browser and Java updates. I don't quite understand how you do that with the USB port, but maybe you can figure out, I didn't try long.
Old Sep 6th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

GREAT idea, Christina! Had no idea you could do that. Thanks.

I'll try reloading it before we leave, but that still begs the question of when the ten year life expires. Perhaps the Navigo site will be able to tell me when I try the reloading bit.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 02:03 AM

^^ you need the special Navigo reader in order to reload your pass online. You can't just do it with any USB cable. The reader costs about €8 FWIW.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 02:33 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigo_pass

The history section at wiki might help you work it out. It's not a bad problem to have
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 04:07 AM

I actually didn't know these only worked for 10 years and don't know how old mine is, either. But I suppose they don't want people to have the same photo on them for your entire life, after all.

I would think it wouldn't be that difficult to just take an extra ID photo in case you needed to buy a new one. I don't understand being fond of a particular piece of plastic, they are all alike. If you are fond of looking 10 years younger than you are, I can see that.

Hey, that's an idea, maybe you can remember from the photo itself, when you looked like that or when it was taken.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Well, Christina, I am not usually overly fond of pieces of plastic, either. My Dear Wife, however, has a love affair with those pieces of plastic called "Credit Cards".

Sigh ------