Covid Testing in Athens question

Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Covid Testing in Athens question

Hello,
We will be in Greece in May. We are spending our last 4 nights in Athens at the Airotel Parthenon on Makri Street. Right now I am going on the assumption the US will require us to test for Covid before we return home. Does anyone have knowledge of where we can test for Covid in Athens? Pharmacies, special sites set up, airport, etc.? I assume the hotel can help us with this but I like to know in advance, if possible.

Thank you!
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 12:50 AM

KarenWoo, as you probably heard, France is doing away with the vaccine pass starting March 14. Many countries no longer require pre-travel Covid testing if you are vaccinated. So Im guessing the US will also follow suit sooner rather than later. If not, your hotel will definitely be able to help you.

On a happier note, we too have finalized our travel to Greece this May, were there from May 2-15. My sister, niece and I will spend a fortnight in Sicily, Naples and Amalfi before Greece, so were all most excited.

Wish you also a fabulous time in Greece, safe travels!
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Geetika, thank you for your response. Where are you going in Greece? We will be in Santorini, Naxos, Nafplio and Athens, in that order.

I visited Rome many, many years ago. Sicily, Naples, and the Amalfi Coast are on my bucket list. Your trip sounds awesome! How long will you be gone for?
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 11:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I had looked into this as originally we were ending our trip in Athens also in May. Here's one link I had found. I understand there are also labs around that you can schedule an appt with. MY understanding is the pirce is capped at 10€. We are now ending in Nafplion in late May. When will you be there?https://athensmedicalgroup.com/covid...tic-testing-4/

Last edited by yestravel; Mar 4th, 2022 at 11:49 AM. Reason: left link off
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

yestravel, thank you so much for the link. I saved it to my desktop.

We are leaving on May 12 and return home on May 29. We are visiting Santorini, Naxos, Nafplio, and Athens, in that order. So we will be in Athens in late May. What is your itinerary? I remember following your Croatia trip report a few years ago. We were there in September 2019. You were reporting as your were traveling. We loved Croatia, Montenegro and Slovenia. So beautiful!
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 07:31 PM

Hi Karen, yes, I remember your plans for Croatia and other places. I think I read your TR. Glad you had such a great trip.
We begin in Athens, then will be in Rhodes. We’ll spend most of the time in the Peloponnese.. We arrive in Nafplion on May 22 and leave on the 25th. Does that overlap with your time there?
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 02:44 AM

Karen, we spend 4 nights in Nafplio, 3 on Santorini and 5 in Athens, with a day trip to Delphi from there. My preference would have been Naxos, but my nephew and niece chose Santorini as itll be their first time in Greece.

My sister, niece and I will spend 10 days in Sicily and 3 nights each on the Amalfi Coast and in Naples, before flying to Athens. Weve done day trips to the AC, but never actually stayed there, so were looking forward to it. Naples is mainly to revisit Pompeii and the Archeological museum. Weve done several trips to Italy over the last 10+ years, my sister and her family spent a month there to celebrate my nephews high school graduation. Next to France, Italy is my fav destination!
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 04:54 AM

geetika -- sounds like a great trip! We'll be spending a night in Delphi and then in Meteroa after Rhodes and before time on the Peloponnese including Nafplio for the 3 nights. I happen to love Naples -- thinks it an underated city. Hope you get a chance to experience it. Have a fabulous trip!
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yestravel View Post
Hi Karen, yes, I remember your plans for Croatia and other places. I think I read your TR. Glad you had such a great trip.
We begin in Athens, then will be in Rhodes. Well spend most of the time in the Peloponnese.. We arrive in Nafplion on May 22 and leave on the 25th. Does that overlap with your time there?
Yestravel, we arrive in Nafplio on May 20 and also leave on the 25th to return our car to the airport, and then take a taxi to Athens for the last 4 nights. So we do overlap for a couple nights. If you have the time, would you be interested in meeting us for dinner some evening in Nafplio?
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Geetika, your trip sounds awesome!!!
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Geetika, sounds like an awesome trip!
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by KarenWoo View Post
Yestravel, we arrive in Nafplio on May 20 and also leave on the 25th to return our car to the airport, and then take a taxi to Athens for the last 4 nights. So we do overlap for a couple nights. If you have the time, would you be interested in meeting us for dinner some evening in Nafplio?
Yes, that would be fun. I will pm you. Assuming I can remember how! Its been awhile😎

Last edited by yestravel; Mar 5th, 2022 at 06:16 AM.
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by yestravel View Post
geetika -- sounds like a great trip! We'll be spending a night in Delphi and then in Meteroa after Rhodes and before time on the Peloponnese including Nafplio for the 3 nights. I happen to love Naples -- thinks it an underated city. Hope you get a chance to experience it. Have a fabulous trip!
yestravel, were very excited and so looking forward to being in Europe again. Our last trip was exactly two years back, when I joined my sister and niece on their spring break vacation to Andalucia. Towards the end of our trip all hell broke loose and we made it back home by the skin of our teeth, just before borders were closed and flights grounded.

Lucky you overnighting in Delphi, Id love to do the same, but some of my group dont have much vacation time, so day trip it is.

I first went to Naples as a student in 1981 and have loved subsequent visits, just wandering around the town is such fun.

Karen, thanks, best wishes to yestravel and you, enjoy! 😊😉
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 09:57 AM

Karen, how did you book your car, through Auto Europe? Thanks 😊
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by geetika View Post
Karen, how did you book your car, through Auto Europe? Thanks 😊
Not Karen, but I usually use Auto Europe for our travels. For Greece they were so expensive I looked around to see what I could find. Athens Car Rental came highly recommended and we are using them for 3 weeks of traveling around. They are a fraction of the price and got good reviews. I have found them very easy to deal with.
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Geetika, I have always used Kemwel; they are located in Portland, Maine. I think they are now a sister company of Auto Europe. I have always been happy with their service. So that is who I used for our Greece trip. We are picking up the car on May 20 at Athens Airport and returning it on May 25. I don't know how they compare to Athens Car Rental. I also want to rent a car for a day while we are in Santorini, and for a day while we are on Naxos, but I haven't done that yet. I probably should do that sooner rather than later considering the car rental shortage.
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by KarenWoo View Post
Geetika, I have always used Kemwel; they are located in Portland, Maine. I think they are now a sister company of Auto Europe. I have always been happy with their service. So that is who I used for our Greece trip. We are picking up the car on May 20 at Athens Airport and returning it on May 25. I don't know how they compare to Athens Car Rental. I also want to rent a car for a day while we are in Santorini, and for a day while we are on Naxos, but I haven't done that yet. I probably should do that sooner rather than later considering the car rental shortage.
For price comparison we are renting on 7 May and returning to Athens airport on the 26th. Its ~$550. At the time I looked Auto Europe was much higher. Not sure what they have these days.
Old Mar 5th, 2022, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Yestravel, your car rental is much longer than ours. You have a good price. We are picking up our car on May 20 and returning it on May 25 for a total of 6 days. Our rental cost is $274.
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 06:32 AM

Karen and yestravel, thanks for the info about car rentals, will look into it. Well need a car for 4 days in Nafplio, then two in Santorini.

I used Tonys when we visited Santorini in 2014, will check with him again, theyre in Firostefani. [email protected]
Im going to start a new thread with questions about our trip as were digressing from the topic line for quite a while now. And Im the culprit, sorry!
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the info about car rentals, will check it out. I posted a reply which has gone into moderation, probably because I posted the email id of Tonys Car Rental in Firostefani.

Will start a separate thread with specific questions for Athens and Santorini.