covering up for italian churches

Jul 3rd, 2005, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

covering up for italian churches

this may be common knowledge from other posts.. but thought i would share this in case someone is caught off guard.

with this heat, many tourists, men included, were turned away at st. francis of assis due to their attire.
two clever japanese short-shorts clad young women had a very good idea.

they went and bought a "pareiro" (huge beach scarf to wear around bikini) wrapped it around their waist, thus creating a very thin nice skirt, and they were allowed in.

more than one short-shorts clad husband was waiting outside for the wife. they didn't seem to stop the children dressed like that, though.

they let bermudas in.. but no short shorts.

Jul 3rd, 2005, 08:10 PM

Good tip! I'm planning on wearing capris tho for my "churchsightseeing" days as we're going in Oct! What does the ttt mean? I've seen it a few other times and just can't figure it out!
Jul 3rd, 2005, 10:03 PM

Hi katerbug, when a thread gets pushed way down the line because more and more new threads are posted often some Fodorite will type ttt (to the top) to get the thread back up to the top of the list. It is done out of kindness so that the person who started the thread will hopefully get answers to their question. Or you can type it for your own thread. Anytime, no matter what you type, on "Post My Reply" will cause that thread to go to the top of the list again (the left hand side of the screen).
Jul 4th, 2005, 12:05 AM

Though I usually recommend modest dress for churches wherever they are, it was an exceptionally hot day when we were in Assisi and I was wearing a black "skort" with a knit short sleeve (t-shirt like but not a tee) shirt. I was allowed in. However, when we left the church and started hiking toward the tower above Assisi, I was followed by a man who claimed to own the olive grove I was walking past and wanted to give me a personal tour of his farm.
Jul 4th, 2005, 07:14 AM

The Vatican (St. Peter's) was (and I am sure they always are) very strict when we were there just recently. No shorts of any kind including Bermuda shorts.
Jul 4th, 2005, 08:00 PM

thx for the info everyone, from covering up to ttt!