Reload this Page >

Coventry restaurants

Search

Coventry restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:47 AM
viennese

Coventry restaurants

We will be in Coventry (UK) next week. What restaurant would you recommend for diner? The Michelin Red Guide which I normally rely on doesn't even mention one restaurant in Coventry. We are not on a budget and are looking for 'fine dining'. Thank you for local expertise.

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to avoid a smartass answer to your question. I really, really did.

But this is probably the first time in history Coventry and "fine dining" have been used in the same sentence.

So the honest answer is probably if you're looking for fine dining, don't stay in Coventry.

It's not my manor, so with luck this will provoke a real local to give a more helpful answer. My copy of the Good Food Guide has 4 recommendations within 15 miles: Forest at Dorridge, Bosquet and Simpsons at Kenilworth, and Love's at Leamington Spa.

Or go into Brum.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 02:54 AM
viennese

Thank you, Flanner, for confirming my fears! ;-)

Seems like I have to go on a diet for our stay. At least it is for 2 nights only. Coventry wasn't my choice anyway, but I want to accompany my husband.

My limited knowledge of the English language (and my dictionary, too) leave me clueless about your last sentence. Could you pls. explain (to my amusement, I think) or will this force Fodors to delete this thread immediately?

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Brum is an abbreviation of Brummagem, an alternate name for the city of Birmingham.

Apparently flanner was able to resist the temptation to be a smarta$$ but unable to resist the need to be obscure.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:49 AM
viennese

LOL, Birmingham!!! Thank you, obxgirl! Would have never come to my mind. I thought flanner was trying to make fun of me...

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brum is Brummie for Birmingham.

Brummie is the dialect spoken by Brummies.

While Brum is not the most loved city in Britan, "Brum" has no offensive connotation. But it has some reasonable restaurants, a good train service into the centre of Coventry, and its rather odd (and IMHO over-rated) contribution to world cuisine, the Balti (interrogating the owner of a Balti restaurant in Rawalpindi a few years ago, it seemed clear he'd imported it from Brum).

Mind you, even in Britain's greatest food deserts, Indians and Chineses are usually reliable.