Covent Garden proximity

Jun 29th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Covent Garden proximity

In terms of walking distance to theaters and Covent Garden shopping/restaurants, which hotel would be more convenient: Royal Horseguards or Meridien Piccadilly? I've only been to London once, but I remember the area aroung the Meridien as being massively crowded, yes? Is the same true of the Horseguards?
Jun 29th, 2005, 08:28 AM

They are both within easy walking distance of Covent Garden (you can check up on their locations by outting their postcodes into www.streetmap.co.uk).

Picadilly is always chaos - you may not be familiar with the phrase, but when we describe a place as being crammed and chaotic, we say ' it was like Piccadily Circus'. Horseguards is not on such a main throughfare, so will be more bearable.
Jun 29th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Depending on which theatres you are talking about, there is little difference between the two in terms of walking distance (either will be closer to some theatres than others). But I too would prefer the location of the Royal Horseguards.
Jun 29th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

My milage program covers the Dorchester as well as the Meridien and the Horseguards, but it seems that I would have to take taxis from there? Not as "central"? Do you know anything about 41, which overlooks Buckingham Mews, according to the description? Thanks!
Jun 29th, 2005, 10:08 AM

I think the Dorchester is very, very central. The problem is just it's on a residential neighbourhood , with relatively narrow streets where the buses don't go so you will have to walk a bit to get a bus or metro. If you don't mind to walk I wouldn't lose the chance to stay in one of the best hotels in London (a bit posh, yes, but that has an old charm)
Jun 29th, 2005, 10:33 AM

tuby: You got a LOT of this same info on your other thread.

I beg to differ re the Dorchester. It is on Park Lane which is a wide divided road sort of like an expressway in the States. A VERY posh expressway - but definitely not a quiet residential street. Now, out the back door you are in the Mayfair/Shepherds Market/Grosvenor Square area.

For what you want I think the Horseguards is probably the best choice. The Dorchester is posh - but not near anything you want to see. same goes for 41 - it is a nice property but a longer walk from Covent Garden.
Jun 29th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Oh, then I misunderstood the Dorchester for another hotel inside Mayfair...
Jul 1st, 2005, 10:53 AM

We were just at Horseguards and recommend it. Specify a riverside room when you book and make sure you bring your confirmation with you. We got ours for 142 pounds (inc. VAT) and your TA should be able to do the same. Only negative is the cost of their continental breakfast - better to eat out.