Coupons in Paris?

Apr 11th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Coupons in Paris?

Hello...

Every time I have traveled to London, I have found American-style coupons on the web for discounts at both restaurants (usually chains) and things to do.

Is that a common practice in Paris, or is that more of an Anglo/American thing?

If so, I would appreciate any suggested websites that might have them.

Thanks. SS
Apr 11th, 2007, 08:34 AM

I don't think it's a common practice, no, but I don't frequent American chain restaurants in Paris, I'll admit. Maybe if you named exactly the kind of places you want to go that did this in London, it would ring a bell with someone.

I've occasionally seen some discount offered by a restaurants online, perhaps, but not a coupon per se (Flo brasseries do that). that's even pretty rare, though, so it would make more sense to just look for a good value restaurant than pursue coupons. You might find something in the Tourist Office, and you do see a few things on those promotional maps from hotels (although I've not seen a restaurant coupon, but one I have at my desk offers you a "free gift" with the coupon at Hard Rock Cafe in Paris).

I did find a coupon for some price reduction at Pizza Hut in Paris on their website, is that the kind of thing you want?
Apr 11th, 2007, 08:34 AM

If you are staying in a hotel, take a look through all the pamphlets and booklets on the literature rack. Or, go to one of the Tourist Offices for literature.

If you go on L'Opentour, you'll receive a booklet of coupons - 20% off Tour Montparnasse, 20% off Musee Grevin, 20% off Planet Hollywood, etc.

If you reserve online at any restaurant in the Flo brasserie chain, you receive 15% off (and there are many of them, all with beautiful interiors, good food, fairly moderate prices), except prix fixe menus.
Apr 11th, 2007, 08:36 AM

oh, I was going to say that the tourist office sells something called a Paris Pass or something like that which has a few discounts in it, but not many, and not so much for restaurants (ie, 10% off at Sephora stores).

Also, many hotels have a little kiosk with small cards near the front desk for restaurants, excursions, etc. promotions. Some of these may have a discount or special deal (like free drink). These are cards about the size of a business card and I like them for their designs, I use them for bookmarks.
Apr 11th, 2007, 09:05 AM

I'm going to London again soon - where did you find the online coupons?
Apr 11th, 2007, 09:48 AM

I answered the question on the "other" site.
Apr 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Some restaurants have them on their web sites, esp. if they cater to many American customers.

Les Temps Perdu, for example, offered one in conjunction with online reservations so I decided to use it. However, they didn't actually honor the electronic coupon (a free drink and a small discount, as I recall) until I asked about it several times and my waiter didn't know about it, he had to check with the boss.

If there's a coupon of some kind for an activity/place/sight you're planning to take in anyway, then go for it. But I wouldn't make restaurant or sightseeing decisions based solely on whether a discount coupon was offered.

Apr 12th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

To Dublinborn:

If you fly into Gatwick, take Southern Railway, not the Gatwick Express -- their website (http://southernrailway.com/) has 2-for-1 coupons for many of the major sights and some restaurants (but you have to show your railway ticket). My wife and I saved over $100 each time we went to London).

Also, Wagamama (wagamam.com) has weekly 2-for-1 coupons at selected locations.

SS