couchette--Can someone explain more

Sep 22nd, 2000, 03:44 PM
ned

couchette--Can someone explain more

I am looking at taking an overnight train from Paris to Florence. I hear about couchette's and do not exactly what it is. Is it a bunk like you used to see if US tains in the 50's? Is a private sleeper actually a private room? I will be by myself so I am looking for the best solution and not sure if I want to sleep in a seat. Also, if you get a couchette, do you also get a seat? Sorry for lack of knowledge, I have never traveled at night.

Sep 22nd, 2000, 04:00 PM
SharonM

Couchettes: These are the simplest of the overnight accommodations. They are Per RailEurope, couchettes are "open bunks in a compartment, each with a pillow and blanket. Usually located in second-class, they accommodate up to six people. There is no distinction by sex, so you should expect to sleep in your daytime clothes. Washrooms are provided at the end of each car"
Not sure whether you automatically move to reserved seating during daytime part of trip...check out raileurope.com under rail accommodations and there's a bunch a good info.

Sep 22nd, 2000, 06:24 PM
clairobscur

Sharon described the couchettes. For the longest trips, they are transformed in seats (basically,your seat was the lower bunk, the back of the seat the upper bunk). But if your train leaves late on the evening and arrive early in the morning, you'll have only a "couchette", and no seat.
The sleepers are compartments with between 1 and 3 beds (depending on the price). I believe that 2 and 3 beds are 2nd class and 1 bed is first class, but I'm unsure).Much more confortable. Men and womens use separate compartments (except if the whole compartment is reserved by a couple, of course). There's a private bathroom at least for 1 bed sleepers,I'm unsure concerning 2 beds sleepers. There's no reason to feel sorry for not knowing something you never saw, by the way.

Sep 22nd, 2000, 09:24 PM
SharonM

FYI...
I've never reserved a couchette, myself... just happened to know where to find the info...
I'm "one of the ones" that just wing it w/ a 1st class eurailpass... Pretty comfortable if it's not crowded, and you're not quite as "isolated"

IMHO, of course! lol.

Sep 25th, 2000, 09:58 AM
lisa

I have used couchettes. The compartment we were in had 6 bunks, stacked 3 high on each side. Couchettes are not private -- in other words, if there are two travelling in your party, and you reserve couchettes for each of you, you will be sharing a compartment with up to 4 other people. It is marginally easier to sleep in a couchette than in a seat, but not by much, depending on the people who are in your compartment with you (if they are noisy, or if they snore, it can be really difficult to sleep). A sleeper car gives you more privacy and a little more space, but costs a lot more. To me the main advantage of the sleeper car is that the privacy allows you to change out of your day clothes which is much more comfortable for sleeping!

Search this Thread