Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Paris area for relaxed people watching?

Sep 1st, 2000, 03:44 AM
Pamela

I'm not really sure how to phrase this question so please bear with me. One of my favorite things to do on holiday is just soak up the atmosphere of whatever area I'm in. Getting away from the heavily touristed areas once in awhile and mingling with the locals do everyday things. We'll be in Paris next spring and I'd love to find a neighborhood that's quaint and has small cafe's where a person can just walk around or sit with a coffee and enjoy the feeling of being in Paris. I hope that doesn't sound stupid.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sep 1st, 2000, 03:58 AM
love2trvl

Hi Pamela:
Though everyone has a different area of Paris they love, mine is the Monteparnesse section. On my recent trip, I found myself wandering around and stopping at any cafe that caught my fancy. There are so many to choose from but I found that no matter which one I stopped in it was THE most relaxing way to people watch. Enjoy your trip!

Sep 1st, 2000, 06:34 AM
betsy

Rue Cler, hands down. Grab a crepe from the little stand there, find a bench and sit and enjoy. Or get an outside seat at Cafe du Marche (also on rue Cler) and watch the people pass by.

Bon voyage

Sep 1st, 2000, 06:58 AM
Robin

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "best", but in the area around the Musee Marmottan there is a park that was filled with nannies and children on a sunny day. It was one of the few places where I really felt I was seeing locals and not tourists (or at least the balance was in their favor!)

Sep 1st, 2000, 08:01 AM
Ross

Le Parc de la Place des Vosges at sunset.

Sep 1st, 2000, 08:44 AM
Thyra

All of Paris of course, but my personal favorites are Montmatre (sp?) and Le Jardin de Luxembourg. *sigh when are we leaving?

Sep 1st, 2000, 08:50 AM
tom oldham

I would say it depends on the slice of society you want to watch---lovers congregate on the seine banks around notre dame---art lovers race in and out of various museums---I always loved cafes on blvd st. germaine around brasserie lipp in the 6th---or on the quai looking at notre dame ---parks are also nice places to people watch---the champs elysees is always packed

Sep 1st, 2000, 10:05 AM
Bill Irving

My favorite place for relaxed watching is Luxemburg Gardens, especially around the pond area, where the miniature sailboats are being sailed. It is an excellent place to sit & relax & rest a few minutes, in the shade or sun. & it is good for all kinds of people watching, kids to adults, locals & tourists.

Sep 1st, 2000, 10:13 AM
dan woodlief

I also love Jardins du Luxembourg. Go on a weekend. You will see kids playing, lovers relaxing, boats a sailing, locals playing games, etc. If you want somewhere a little less crowded that is also easy to get to, the gardens at the Palais Royal are nice, but you won't get nearly as many people to watch.

Sep 1st, 2000, 05:44 PM
Austin

Pamela:

Any cafe or brasserie around the place d'Italie in the 13th
(My favorite district)
There are sveral schools in the area so youll see a lot of young people being very French and joyous
You will not see tourists or famous "sites"
What you will see is Paris at its best

Have fun
AHamel

Sep 1st, 2000, 05:48 PM
iluvparis

Subways & buses ! True wherever you go.

Sep 2nd, 2000, 04:10 AM
topper

Sep 25th, 2000, 09:42 AM
John

At the Place du Trocadero there are 3 or 4 cafes you can sit and watch people for hours. The view of the Eiffel Tower is also pretty good.

Sep 25th, 2000, 09:59 AM
Bob Brown

I think everybody has a valid point on what he or she suggested. My two favorites were the Luxembourg Gardens and the park at Place des Vosges. I sat for a long time on a bench watching children at play and different parenting styles, most of it focused on how parents handled young children who wanted to play in the fountain. Water in fountains seems to draw kids like a magnet draws iron. Luxembourg Gardens is larger and more varied than Place des Voges, so there are more different kinds of behavior to observe.
Other than that, find an outdoor cafe somewhere along Boulevard Montparnasse and you should have a huge parade of different types of people going by.