Search

Couchette

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:40 PM
william

Couchette

We are taking the overnight train from Rome to Paris and we were wondering if you have a couchette, is that the only accomodation you get. What to do when you want to sit up?

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:43 PM
jb

we took a couchette from Paris to Munich overnight. You really can't sit up too well but that was OK. We boarded later at night, passed a wine bottle around and basically chatted from our bunks. Not the best way to travel, but definitely doable.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Ben Haines

The trip from Paris to Munich is short, and the couchette compartment is set up with berths for the whole run. On the Palatino Express you leave Rome at 1935, stop briefly at Pisa at 2234, and reach Dijon at 0720 and Paris at 0958. I'm afraid I don't know what the conductors do, but it is likely that they set up the couchette compartments for sleeping about 2100, and certain that if you look closely, or ask the conductor to show you how, you can fold up the berths in the morning. Or fold up the middle berths, which lets the two topmost people sleep on while travellers below wash - and talk.<BR><BR>For about 35 US dollars extra per passenger you can travel second class in a 3-berth sleeper. This will certainly leave Rome as seats, the conductor will set it up for the night when asked, and re-set it as seats in the morning, when asked. Again, the top-most passenger can snooze on while the others move below.<BR><BR>The Palatino has a restaurant car, but the stewards ask you to move to make way for others when you have finished your coffee.<BR><BR>Readers planning other long night journeys might like to know that most such trains have seats as well as berths, so you can book a seat for your first hour or two, and a berth only from a station a hundred miles along the line. But you have to transfer from seat to couchette or sleeper with some speed, along a platform, or battle your way through the train.<BR><BR>I discuss ways of getting the best from couchettes and sleepers on http://www.twenj.com/tipsnighttrains.htm<BR><BR>Welcome to Europe<BR><BR>Ben Haines

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 02:45 AM
topper

New home for Mr. Haines's piece on night trains:<BR><BR>http://www.twenj.net/tipsnighttrains.htm<BR><BR>

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 05:43 AM
Sa

My friends and I took a couchette from Paris to Barcelona. It was a 13-14 hour ride and it wasn't very comfortable. The couchettes were as small as a twin bed and you of course had to share with the person next to you. As long as you know who you'll be sharing the couchette with it's ok.